Issue 1757 in webm: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks

Sett 232 ganger
Hopp til første uleste melding

ferd… via monorail

ulest,
25. mars 2022, 11:23:1125.03.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----

New issue 1757 by ferd...@gmail.com: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757

Up through the release of 1.7.0, the CHANGELOG file for libvpx was diligent about mentioning when a release included an ABI break — in fact, generally, the very first line of the "Upgrading" section read:

"This release is ABI incompatible due to..."

Starting with release 1.8.0, though, and continuing through the three ABI breaks since, the authors of the CHANGELOG apparently fell out of this habit. This has led to issues in at least one downstream package collection (MSYS2), where the necessary dependent rebuilds weren't done following an ABI-breaking libvpx upgrade.

(See: https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/pull/8282)

The most recent release, 1.11.0 — which again includes an ABI break (ref: commit 4ec84326cc65c5b042bf06d222d51e51d7e5461d) — was in fact described in the CHANGELOG as a "maintenance release", which to my mind is the /opposite/ of an ABI-breaking update.

It is, of course, not the libvpx maintainers' responsibility to ensure that downstream dependent packages are rebuilt, nor would I ever ask them to take on that responsibility. My request is merely that the maintainers resume providing the explicit notifications that were made previously, and which would be helpful to projects that include libvpx in their software or collections.

Would it be possible for the maintainers to fall back _into_ the habit of explicitly declaring when releases are ABI-incompatible, so that downstream packagers will be prompted to rebuild their libvpx dependencies after updating the library? It would be much appreciated.

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

jz… via monorail

ulest,
25. mars 2022, 13:49:4425.03.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Cc: johan...@google.com
Owner: ji...@google.com

Comment #1 on issue 1757 by jz...@google.com: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757#c1

Thanks for the report. I agree that would should do a better job documenting this in the next release and for what it's worth update the CHANGELOG in the main and release branches.

j.goe… via monorail

ulest,
26. mars 2022, 02:59:5926.03.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 1757 by j.goe...@fz-juelich.de: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757#c2

Thank you also from my side. We also fell into this trap and hunted the cause for some time.

ji… via monorail

ulest,
31. mars 2022, 18:26:5231.03.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Blocking: 1752

Comment #3 on issue 1757 by ji...@google.com: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757#c3

Thanks for the report.

I'll make sure the CHANGELOG for the upcoming release to reflect ABI breaks if there's any.

Git Watcher via monorail

ulest,
17. juni 2022, 20:01:1317.06.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Labels: merge-merged-torrent

Comment #6 on issue 1757 by Git Watcher: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757#c6

The following revision refers to this bug:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libvpx/+/03d4c6fed9ce058ff27cdf523275d301073f6651

commit 03d4c6fed9ce058ff27cdf523275d301073f6651
Author: Jerome Jiang <ji...@google.com>
Date: Fri Jun 17 18:14:10 2022

Update CHANGELOG and version info

A stale codec control was removed, but compatibility was restored.

New codec control was added.

Bump *current* and *age*, and keep *revision* as 0.

Bug: webm:1752
Bug: webm:1757

Change-Id: I76179f129a10c06d897b5c62462808ed9b9c2923

[modify] https://crrev.com/03d4c6fed9ce058ff27cdf523275d301073f6651/CHANGELOG
[modify] https://crrev.com/03d4c6fed9ce058ff27cdf523275d301073f6651/libs.mk

Git Watcher via monorail

ulest,
30. juni 2022, 18:06:0630.06.2022
til webm-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #7 on issue 1757 by Git Watcher: Changelogs no longer mention ABI breaks
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/detail?id=1757#c7

The following revision refers to this bug:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libvpx/+/dbac8e01e05ad3d1b47887b1ac864339115aa721

commit dbac8e01e05ad3d1b47887b1ac864339115aa721
Author: Jerome Jiang <ji...@google.com>
Date: Thu Jun 30 14:53:15 2022

ABI compatibility to CHANGELOG for prev releases.

Bug: webm:1757
Change-Id: I19576aa0bc065045dcb0eaf770ae5b0d9ac9d684

[modify] https://crrev.com/dbac8e01e05ad3d1b47887b1ac864339115aa721/CHANGELOG

ji… via monorail

ulest,
6. sep. 2022, 17:18:2406.09.2022