Suggesting a subtitle format

Carlos Solís

May 19, 2010, 3:07:50 PM5/19/10
to WebM Discussion
I just heard that WebM is using Matroska as its container. Which is
great news because Matroska can embed subtitles (with all and its
fonts). I've been using an open subtitle format named Advanced
SubStation Alpha, which features loads and loads of help for
subtitlers and typesetters (even support for vectorial graphics!). So
I suggest to use it in YouTube's subtitled videos.

Lou Quillio

May 24, 2010, 7:31:13 PM5/24/10
to WebM Discussion
On May 19, 3:07 pm, Carlos Solís <csol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just heard that WebM is using Matroska as its container. Which is
> great news because Matroska can embed subtitles (with all and its
> fonts). I've been using an open subtitle format named Advanced
> SubStation Alpha, which features loads and loads of help for
> subtitlers and typesetters (even support for vectorial graphics!). So
> I suggest to use it in YouTube's subtitled videos.

Hi Carlos,

Right now we think it's best to wait and see what comes out of
WHATWG / W3C regarding subtitle standardization.

http://www.webmproject.org/code/specs/container/#demuxer_and_muxer_guidelines

More:

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Video_Overlay
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Timed_tracks