Could I turn-off compound predictions for encoding a vp9 video?

여현호

Oct 21, 2019, 10:16:21 AM10/21/19
to Codec Developers
Hi, I'm a Ph.D. candidate working on video streaming.

I'm currently developing DNN-based codec based on libvpx for a vp9 video.
For my research, I want to test a encoded video with single-prediction and compound-predictions.
Thus, could I manually turn-off compound-predictions for a vp9 encoder?
Since I haven't read code for the encoder-side, any guide would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Hyunho

chiy...@google.com

Oct 29, 2019, 1:45:11 PM10/29/19
to Codec Developers
Hi Yeo!

I don't think there is a way to turn off compound prediction in vp9. But if you are willing to recompile libvpx, we can try the following:
In the file vp9/encoder/vp9_rdopt.c, there is a function called vp9_rd_pick_inter_mode_sb. In side the function, there is a giant for loop that iterates through the prediction modes (the loop variable is midx).
There is a variable called comp_pred in the loop. Adding an if-statement that skips comp_pred should do the trick.

Hyunho Yeo, KAIST

Oct 29, 2019, 9:30:40 PM10/29/19
to Codec Developers
Thank you.