Why external Frame Buffer is not supported in VP8 ?

(Daniel.L) Byoungchan Lee

Jul 7, 2020, 12:07:37 AM7/7/20
to Codec Developers

Hello, I am a user of libvpx and WebRTC libraries. Recently, I found that VP9 decoder has a VPX_CODEC_CAP_EXTERNAL_FRAME_BUFFER capabilities so WebRTC provides preallocated Frame Buffers [1] to libvpx, but there are no such capabilities in VP8 decoder.

I'd like to know why VP8 doesn't support such capabilities. Is it okay to submit a patch for implementing it?

[1] https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:third_party/webrtc/modules/video_coding/codecs/vp9/vp9_frame_buffer_pool.cc;l=41

James Zern

Jul 7, 2020, 2:02:55 PM7/7/20
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:07 PM (Daniel.L) Byoungchan Lee
<dani...@hpcnt.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am a user of libvpx and WebRTC libraries. Recently, I found that VP9 decoder has a VPX_CODEC_CAP_EXTERNAL_FRAME_BUFFER capabilities so WebRTC provides preallocated Frame Buffers [1] to libvpx, but there are no such capabilities in VP8 decoder.

There's no technical reason, support was added to vp9 to improve
performance in chrome and other applications as vp9 was being
deployed.

> I'd like to know why VP8 doesn't support such capabilities. Is it okay to submit a patch for implementing it?

Yes, absolutely. If you plan on working on this it would be good to
file a bug to track the progress [2].
[2] https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webm/issues/entry?template=Codec+Feature+Request+%28libvpx%29