Porting libvpx's Perl scripts to Python

L. E. Segovia

Jul 11, 2023, 6:30:36 PM7/11/23
to codec...@webmproject.org
Hi all,

As part of the Meson port of libvpx [1], I ported the build scripts from
Perl to Python 3. This enables dropping the Perl dependency, which makes
building easier on Windows (Strawberry Perl is no longer needed for
building from source).

I'm wondering, would them be of use for the project as a whole?
Alternatively, why would it be preferable to keep Perl in place?

Cheers,

amyspark

[1]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/meson-ports/libvpx

--
amyspark 🌸 https://www.amyspark.me

James Zern

Jul 11, 2023, 9:33:27 PM7/11/23
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 3:30 PM 'L. E. Segovia' via Codec Developers <codec...@webmproject.org> wrote:
Hi all,

As part of the Meson port of libvpx [1], I ported the build scripts from
Perl to Python 3. This enables dropping the Perl dependency, which makes
building easier on Windows (Strawberry Perl is no longer needed for
building from source).

Does that simplify things? You would still need a python install along with bash to run configure.

I'm wondering, would them be of use for the project as a whole?
Alternatively, why would it be preferable to keep Perl in place?

The main argument would be that it's stable and hasn't caused any problems since being ported from shell. The motivation to change at that time was for speed, especially on windows. Since it's not actively being developed, changing to python doesn't seem to be necessary and introduces a compatibility issue between releases.