[ANN] animated webp loop behavior changing in Chrome

James Zern

Sep 19, 2017, 6:48:32 PM9/19/17
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

For historical reasons animated webp was made to loop once more in Chrome than the stored count to match gif behavior [1]. This, however, prevents webp from looping once, which is a common use case [2].

I plan on submitting a change soon which will have webp loop the number of times stored to address this [3]. The behavior will change in Chrome version 63 (61 is the current stable). This means any existing animated webps will start to loop once less. gif2webp will receive an update to increase the count stored in the webp file with an option to store the equivalent count for compatibility purposes [4].

James Zern

Sep 20, 2017, 3:33:37 AM9/20/17
to WebP Discussion

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:48:32 PM UTC-7, James Zern wrote:
Hi,

For historical reasons animated webp was made to loop once more in Chrome than the stored count to match gif behavior [1]. This, however, prevents webp from looping once, which is a common use case [2].

I plan on submitting a change soon which will have webp loop the number of times stored to address this [3]. The behavior will change in Chrome version 63 (61 is the current stable).

Note the Chrome version can be detected in the user agent (see chrome://version). For example:
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36