Detecting Quality that was used to encode to a lossy webp

Aarti Parikh

Jul 18, 2016, 4:19:21 PM7/18/16
to WebP Discussion
Hello,

How can I extract the quality from a given lossy webp image?

Thanks
Aarti

Pascal Massimino

Jul 19, 2016, 4:02:03 PM7/19/16
to WebP Discussion
Hi Aarti,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Aarti Parikh <aarti....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

How can I extract the quality from a given lossy webp image?

it's quite difficult to summarize all to possible lossy-encoding parameters in just one quality number.
The mapping is not 1:1 (JPEG has the same problem, note, but to a lesser extent).

Sorry for not having a better answer to offer!
Still, i'll try to see if one could get an estimation (and how bad this estimation would be) based on the
quantizer steps signaled in the bitstream. I'll update this thread, should there be some usable results...

hope it helps,
skal/

Pascal Massimino

Jul 21, 2016, 9:56:10 AM7/21/16
to WebP Discussion
Hi Aarti,

so i went ahead a submitted[*] a small tool/API to try and reverse-guess the encoding quality.
It's on the tip of the tree:

git pull
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-everything
make -j4 all

-> you should get a extras/webp_quality binary, that will attempt to guess a rough value
of the encoding quality (try './extras/webp_quality my_file.webp'). Not guarantee! :)

hope it helps,
skal/

[*] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/362030/ commit e8ab6a825a86ed77f0b148645fa7ce3aa25ec216