[ANN] libwebp 1.0.0 release candidate

James Zern

Apr 3, 2018, 2:34:23 AM4/3/18
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

Source and binary archives are available [1]. There have been the usual bug
fixes and performance improvements as well as some changes to the tools -- take
note especially of gif2webp. The library is compatible with the previous
release, but we decided to mark this one as 1.0 as the format and API have
stabilized. Everyone is encouraged to update. This will be finalized in the
next few days if there aren't any regressions.

From the NEWS file:
- 4/2/2018: version 1.0.0
  This is a binary compatible release.
  * lossy encoder improvements to avoid chroma shifts in various circumstances
    (issues #308, #340)
  * big-endian fixes for decode, RGBA import and WebPPictureDistortion
  Tool updates:
    gifwebp, anim_diff - default duration behavior (<= 10ms) changed to match
                         web browsers, transcoding tools (issue #379)
    img2webp, webpmux - allow options to be passed in via a file (issue #355)

[1]

James Zern

Apr 3, 2018, 11:59:14 PM4/3/18
to WebP Discussion

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:34:23 PM UTC-7, James Zern wrote:
Hi,

Source and binary archives are available [1]. There have been the usual bug
fixes and performance improvements as well as some changes to the tools -- take
note especially of gif2webp. The library is compatible with the previous
release, but we decided to mark this one as 1.0 as the format and API have
stabilized. Everyone is encouraged to update. This will be finalized in the
next few days if there aren't any regressions.

From the NEWS file:
- 4/2/2018: version 1.0.0
  This is a binary compatible release.
  * lossy encoder improvements to avoid chroma shifts in various circumstances
    (issues #308, #340)
  * big-endian fixes for decode, RGBA import and WebPPictureDistortion
  Tool updates:
    gifwebp, anim_diff - default duration behavior (<= 10ms) changed to match
                         web browsers, transcoding tools (issue #379)
    img2webp, webpmux - allow options to be passed in via a file (issue #355)

rc2 [2] is up with some minor cleanup and release related fixes as well as a build fix for webp_js:
3f157dd5 Remove some very hard TODOs.
cd758a17 {de,}mux/Makefile.am: add missing headers
b892b8ba makefile.unix,dist: use ascii for text output
64a57d05 add -version option to anim_dump,anim_diff and img2webp
fc1b8e3a webp_js: fix webp_js demo html

[1]

[2]

Leon Scroggins

Apr 11, 2018, 9:57:24 AM4/11/18
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Are there plans to update Chromium and Android?

 •  Leon Scroggins

 •  scr...@google.com

James Zern

Apr 11, 2018, 8:14:24 PM4/11/18
to WebP Discussion

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:57:24 AM UTC-7, Leon Scroggins wrote:
Are there plans to update Chromium and Android?

Yes, after we release or with the final rc as we typically do. There's an open issue we're investigating along with some additional cleanup that we decided on so I'm going to hold the finalization a little longer.

James Zern

Apr 17, 2018, 10:05:47 PM4/17/18
to WebP Discussion
rc3 [3] is up, this should be the last one before the final release.
0d5fad46 add WEBP_DSP_INIT / WEBP_DSP_INIT_FUNC
c1cb86af fix 16b overflow in SSE2
e577feb7 makefile.unix: add DEBUG flag for compiling w/ debug-symbol
99be34b3 cwebp,get_disto: fix bpp output
f5565ca8 cmake: Make sure we use near-lossless by default.
d898dc14 fix bug in WebPImport565: alpha value was not set
[3]

James Zern

Apr 20, 2018, 11:51:39 PM4/20/18
to WebP Discussion
1.0.0-final is available [4]. There was only one small change from rc3 to bring vwebp in line with gif2webp in frame duration = 0 handling.
8d510751 webp-container-spec: correct frame duration=0 note
e6b2164e vwebp: Copy Chrome's behavior w/frame duration == 0
[4]

cesar.v...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2018, 6:42:33 PM8/8/18
to WebP Discussion
Hi James,

Do any performance tests comparing 1.0.0 to previous versions (in my case, 0.6.0) exist? I would like to have an idea how much it improved.

Thanks!

James Zern

Aug 9, 2018, 2:19:11 AM8/9/18
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 3:42:33 PM UTC-7, cesar.v...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi James,

Do any performance tests comparing 1.0.0 to previous versions (in my case, 0.6.0) exist? I would like to have an idea how much it improved.

No, I don't have any specific numbers aside from those mentioned in the commit log. There were some performance improvements in general for x86 and NEON as well as some in specific cases (sharp_yuv, upsampling) across 0.6.1 and 1.0.0. Are you wondering about decode or encode performance and on what platform? This is a compatible release with additional bug fixes so you may want to give it try.

Thanks!

cesar.v...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 4:23:14 AM8/9/18
to WebP Discussion
Thanks for replying, James!

Actually, I do both encoding and decoding on Debian 8, but decoding is more important.

I will run a few tests, but will definitely upgrade. I was only wondering if performance comparisons have been made to skip that part on my side. :)

Thanks again!

James Zern

Aug 10, 2018, 2:34:00 AM8/10/18
to WebP Discussion
Thanks for testing. At this point, and almost always on the decode side, we try to avoid regressions and only improve the performance. We have some changes for a 1.0.1 release, but if you have any issues please let us know so we can get them addressed beforehand.

Thanks again!