Issue 74 in webp: cannot convert high resolution images

we...@googlecode.com

May 23, 2011, 4:05:52 AM5/23/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 74 by martin.a...@gmail.com: cannot convert high resolution images
http://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Convert a high res image
2. Run "cwebp big.png -o big.webp"
3. Get an error message.

Expected: Converted image
Instead: "Error! Cannot encode picture as WebP"

0.1.2

Ive tried it first on a large jpg file, but created a small .png sample
file so that this can be easily reproduced.

Attachments:
big.png 22.2 KB

we...@googlecode.com

May 23, 2011, 11:39:52 AM5/23/11
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 74 by mikol...@google.com: cannot convert high
resolution images
http://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

Currently, the WebP format is limited to 16384 pixels in height or width.
It cannot handle such large files yet.

we...@googlecode.com

Jan 10, 2013, 10:01:39 PM1/10/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 74 by fbarch...@google.com: cannot convert high
resolution images
http://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

The vp8 bitstream is limited to 16384 pixels, but the container isn't.
Could you make this work with lossless mode?

we...@googlecode.com

Jan 29, 2014, 4:18:37 PM1/29/14
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 74 by pascal.m...@gmail.com: cannot convert high
resolution images
http://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

for coherency reasons, lossless is also limited to 16384 pixel resolution.

issue notifications to this address.

we...@googlecode.com

Mar 19, 2015, 4:35:36 AM3/19/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #5 on issue 74 by swaath...@gmail.com: cannot convert high
resolution images
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

Do all image algorithms have this 16382 pixel ratio cutoff? I was hoping
that I can have a fallback to WebP if this exception occurs. Is it possible
to some other algorithm to compress images which are greater than this
limit?

we...@googlecode.com

Mar 19, 2015, 9:49:42 PM3/19/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #6 on issue 74 by jz...@google.com: cannot convert high resolution
images
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

JPEG allows for dimensions up to 65535x65535. PNG uses 31-bit resolution
(2^31-1), but by default sets an upper bound of 1Mx1M [1].

[1] http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng-manual.txt

we...@googlecode.com

Mar 19, 2015, 10:43:32 PM3/19/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #7 on issue 74 by swaath...@gmail.com: cannot convert high
resolution images
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=74

Great! Thanks.

oX Triangle

Apr 17, 2015, 9:18:10 AM4/17/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org, we...@googlecode.com, codesite...@google.com
webp has ways to split images in multiple frames (tiles) with x,y,offset
maybe here you have a tricky way to convert higher resolutions