Issue 249 in webp: -size and -psnr don't work in webp with the version 0.4.3

we...@googlecode.com

May 20, 2015, 8:01:14 AM5/20/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 249 by denghblz...@gmail.com: -size and -psnr don't work in webp
with the version 0.4.3
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=249

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. First encode parameter: cwebp.exe a_5.jpg -o a_5_enc.webp
2. Second encode parameter: cwebp.exe a_5.jpg -f 100 -o a_5_enc_f100.webp
3. only different is "-f 100" in the second parameter

It's expected with different PSNR, but I got the same bitstream...
The "-psnr" doesn't work either.

Version: 0.4.3
OS:x64

issue notifications to this address.

we...@googlecode.com

May 20, 2015, 8:12:08 AM5/20/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #1 on issue 249 by denghblz...@gmail.com: -size and -psnr don't
work in webp with the version 0.4.3
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=249

It's the same bitstream with different -size or -psnr value.
I have tried several times, the same as -f above.

we...@googlecode.com

May 20, 2015, 2:21:39 PM5/20/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 249 by pascal.m...@gmail.com: -size and -psnr don't
work in webp with the version 0.4.3
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=249

The PSNR value displayed doesn't take post-processing into account. It
would be slow and would make the encoder slightly more complicated.

So, the PSNR value displayed is for "unfiltered output samples", the one
you would get with -f 0.

we...@googlecode.com

Oct 10, 2015, 2:10:38 AM10/10/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 249 by pascal.m...@gmail.com: -size and -psnr don't
work in webp with the version 0.4.3
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=249

[closing as WAI]

note that -psnr has a different effect: it sets the target PSNR the encoder
should try to achieve iteratively. And similarly for -size. These two
options should be used in conjunction to -pass <int> option in order to be
effective.