WebP no compression

oX Triangle

Mar 28, 2016, 9:43:33 AM3/28/16
to WebP Discussion
my question is: what exactly means "-m 0" (FAST)?

its a fast compression or a story/copy mode means NO compression?

for the case its means first point
suggest a new mode "-m -1" or "-m no" to get real no compression data

useful for compression experiments similar 7zip or for fast workspaces (ssd-disk)

James Zern

Mar 30, 2016, 9:18:03 PM3/30/16
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 6:43:33 AM UTC-7, oX Triangle wrote:
my question is: what exactly means "-m 0" (FAST)?

its a fast compression or a story/copy mode means NO compression?

-m (method) is a quality vs. speed trade-off. Lower -m values will do less analysis to speed up the encode at the cost of final file size and quality in the lossy case.

for the case its means first point
suggest a new mode "-m -1" or "-m no" to get real no compression data

I'm not sure I understand. You're suggesting a raw pass through method?

oX Triangle

Jul 11, 2016, 12:09:51 PM7/11/16
to WebP Discussion

I'm not sure I understand. You're suggesting a raw pass through method?

useful for compression experiments similar 7zip or for fast workspaces (ssd-disk)

yes.. to deactivate any compressions on filelevel (L77 routines )

James Zern

Jul 13, 2016, 1:52:36 AM7/13/16
to WebP Discussion
In that case you could simply decode the source to a ppm or pam and use that as source.