Crash on Solaris Sparc (big endian)

Jeroen Ooms

Dec 30, 2015, 10:14:09 AM12/30/15
to WebP Discussion
I wrote bindings to WebPDecodeRGBA() and WebPEncodeRGBA for the R programming language. Things work as expected on Linux, Mac and Windows and Solaris x64. However on Solaris Sparc (big endian) both WebPDecodeRGBA and WebPEncodeRGBA crash:

  write_webp(img, "rlogo.webp")
  *** caught bus error ***
  address 189bdbd, cause 'invalid alignment'

Interestingly, WebPGetInfo() does work. I am linking against libwebp_dev 0.3.1 from OpenCSW. Has libwebp been tested at all on big endian platforms?

Pascal Massimino

Jan 4, 2016, 7:45:12 AM1/4/16
to WebP Discussion
Hi Jeroen,

0.3.1 is a rather old version. There's indeed been several fixes regarding field alignements (for instance https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/305600/).
Could you try reproducing with an older version of the library please?
The latest archives (0.5.0) were announced here, with download links: https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/d/msg/webp-discuss/W5ZF4hgPRkk/GckKc3BaCAAJ

hope it helps
skal/

Pascal Massimino

Jan 16, 2016, 4:55:11 AM1/16/16
to WebP Discussion
Jeroen,

Did it help? I'm curious about these bus-error crashes...

thanks!
skal

hope it helps
skal/