WebP codec for windows outdated?

Spunkie

Mar 13, 2017, 3:19:16 PM3/13/17
to WebP Discussion
I was looking at the WebP codec for windows today but I notice there has not been a single update to the repo for it in over 3 years. Is it still up to date, needed, and relevant? Are there alternatives people are using on windows?

On the google webp site it says

Currently, the WebP codec only includes the decoder. It will support both encoding and decoding in a future release. It will also add metadata support.

So it certainly seems like there were plans 3 years ago to future develop the codec but not much activity since. Can we expect any further development on the codec or has it been put on hold / abandoned?

James Zern

Mar 17, 2017, 1:18:31 AM3/17/17
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:19:16 PM UTC-7, Spunkie wrote:
I was looking at the WebP codec for windows today but I notice there has not been a single update to the repo for it in over 3 years. Is it still up to date, needed, and relevant? Are there alternatives people are using on windows?

The release of the codec hasn't been updated as only libwebp has changed, not the WIC code, as you note. It's stable, but I think at this point before adding new features the code should be rewritten to better obey WIC semantics and modernized to remove any support for legacy (< windows 7) platforms.
At the time this was written there weren't many options for viewing webp images. Support is better now so it's been a low priority, though this may still be useful in the windows ecosystem.