Issue 227 in webp: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader

rauter.gabriel@gmail.com via Monorail

Mar 31, 2016, 9:01:19 AM3/31/16
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #4 on issue 227 by rauter.g...@gmail.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c4

Any updates on this? You already are shipping a windows codec. Adding this directly to libwebp distribution on linux would enable people on gnome desktops to immediately use its base image viewer to view webp files when installing the libwebp package. Also it enables people to use webp everywhere a a gdk pixbuf is used.
The loader from github seems to work fine so far, although it is missing animation support.

1. The project was configured to send all issue notifications to this address

https://bugs.chromium.org/hosting/settings

pdk… via monorail

Aug 9, 2016, 10:43:35 PM8/9/16
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #5 on issue 227 by pdk...@gmail.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c5

The patch could be updated not only for animation support, but also support for RGBA, which can be detected through WebPGetFeatures.

pasca… via monorail

Oct 21, 2020, 3:21:11 AM10/21/20
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:

Comment #6 on issue 227 by pasca...@gmail.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c6

This webp loader seems to be the reference one now:

https://github.com/aruiz/webp-pixbuf-loader

For Ubuntu, you may want to weigh on:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/1318327 (eog)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdk-pixbuf/+bug/1864215. (gdk-pixbuf)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/eog/-/issues/45. <- eog

odin.… via monorail

Jan 2, 2021, 12:22:59 PM1/2/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #7 on issue 227 by odin....@gmail.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c7

The previous comments were deleted.

Is there a patch for this? It's probably a good time to add this now, because webp is a very common format, and not having a way to read it in gdk (and big distros) is quite surprising at this stage.

Is there any opposition against this, or are we just needing a patch?

jz… via monorail

Jan 5, 2021, 11:01:58 PM1/5/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #8 on issue 227 by jz...@google.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c8

> The previous comments were deleted.

I'm not sure how that happened, I restored them.

> Is there any opposition against this, or are we just needing a patch?

This wasn't a high priority for the webp team since there was an existing implementation and we didn't want to reimplement something that we weren't all that familiar with. If internalizing the code is still preferable I don't have an issue in accepting a patch for it.

jz… via monorail

Mar 23, 2021, 6:54:54 PM3/23/21
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #9 on issue 227 by jz...@google.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c9

I noticed a bug from last year to pull the loader in comment #6 to ubuntu [1].

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libwebp/+bug/1886272

arc… via monorail

Mar 26, 2022, 7:17:57 PM3/26/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #10 on issue 227 by arc...@gmail.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c10

Hey, I am the webp pixbuf loader maintainer/main author.

I am sympathetic to the idea of merging it, I think it would help Linux distros for the most part.

The only blocker I could foresee is the fact that is LGPLv2.1 or later, personally I wouldn't mind relicensing it but I'd need to chase a bunch of contributors I have had over the years.

If you are okay with that then we can just move ahead from my POV.

jz… via monorail

Mar 31, 2022, 4:11:39 PM3/31/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #11 on issue 227 by jz...@google.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webp/issues/detail?id=227#c11

I would prefer avoiding mixing licenses in the same repository. So if relicensing will be difficult we could add another one on chromium.googlesource.com to act similarly to a contrib/ or third_party/ folder in this project if it helps.

jz… via monorail

Dec 15, 2022, 9:32:23 PM12/15/22
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #12 on issue 227 by jz...@google.com: Ship gdk-pixbuf loader