Issue 245 in webp: gif2webp -lossy produces corrupted Webp for GIFs with transparency

we...@googlecode.com

Apr 8, 2015, 5:22:01 PM4/8/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 245 by KTa...@gmail.com: gif2webp -lossy produces corrupted Webp
for GIFs with transparency
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=245

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Run gif2webp -lossy on the attached GIF

Expected: Webp that looks like the original GIF
Actual: Webp that has weird transparency, looks corrupted, does not reflect
the original GIF

libpwebp 0.4.3 on linux server

This doesn't repro if I don't specify lossy

Attachments:
emu.gif 359 KB
emu-lossy.webp 195 KB

issue notifications to this address.

we...@googlecode.com

Apr 8, 2015, 6:19:23 PM4/8/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Updates:
Owner: urv...@google.com

Comment #1 on issue 245 by urv...@google.com: gif2webp -lossy produces
corrupted Webp for GIFs with transparency
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=245

Thanks for the report!
I can reproduce this offline.

The output WebP is correct when using v0.4.2, but shows these artifacts in
v0.4.3
Likely culprit is:
https://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=webm/libwebp.git;a=commit;h=5691bdd9da9239d9dbd680bd16af98c6123b2c02

At the same time, the output is correct at HEAD in master branch:
https://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=webm/libwebp.git
This is probably because the HEAD revision uses the new and re-written
AnimEncoder API in place of gif2webp_util.[ch].

Digging deeper in gif2webp_util to figure out the problem.

we...@googlecode.com

Apr 8, 2015, 7:39:08 PM4/8/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #2 on issue 245 by urv...@google.com: gif2webp -lossy produces
corrupted Webp for GIFs with transparency
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=245

Looks like the fix for this is in master branch:
https://gerrit.chromium.org/gerrit/#/c/72086/, but not in the v0.4.3 branch.

I'll work on getting that fix into v0.4.x as well.

we...@googlecode.com

Apr 8, 2015, 7:49:20 PM4/8/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #3 on issue 245 by KTa...@gmail.com: gif2webp -lossy produces
corrupted Webp for GIFs with transparency
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=245

Thanks for looking into this! Is there an estimated date for the next
release?

we...@googlecode.com

Apr 15, 2015, 8:31:59 PM4/15/15
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

Comment #4 on issue 245 by urv...@google.com: gif2webp -lossy produces
corrupted Webp for GIFs with transparency
https://code.google.com/p/webp/issues/detail?id=245

To avoid issues like this in the future, we'll do some more verification
before the release. So, a very rough estimate for the release would be a
couple of weeks.