VP9/Opus support in IE plugin

Teg Skywalker

Apr 3, 2014, 11:16:26 AM4/3/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
After reading Ryan Thompson's recent post about VP9/Opus support in Quicktime, has the Internet Explorer plugin at http://www.webmproject.org/ie been updated recently to integrate both of the new codecs? Since both VP9 and Opus are both supported in the WebM container for the recent versions of Chrome and Firefox, it would be nice to get Internet Explorer up to speed to support these latest codecs. I'm sure media providers that have been wanting to support these new codecs will appreciate the updates. It can't hurt to have these codecs integrated at the system level to aid in cross platform WebRTC with royalty free codecs.

Tom Finegan

Apr 3, 2014, 2:29:28 PM4/3/14
to WebM Discussion
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Teg Skywalker <tegsky...@hotmail.com> wrote:
After reading Ryan Thompson's recent post about VP9/Opus support in Quicktime, has the Internet Explorer plugin at http://www.webmproject.org/ie been updated recently to integrate both of the new codecs? Since both VP9 and Opus are both supported in the WebM container for the recent versions of Chrome and Firefox, it would be nice to get Internet Explorer up to speed to support these latest codecs. I'm sure media providers that have been wanting to support these new codecs will appreciate the updates. It can't hurt to have these codecs integrated at the system level to aid in cross platform WebRTC with royalty free codecs.

Support for Opus and VP9 cannot be unilaterally added to Internet Explorer. Microsoft must update the browser in addition to the work required on the WebM project side to extend the Media Foundation components to support the new codecs.

To share a brief but probably unhelpful update: We (the WebM team) are looking into adding new codec support to the MF components.

tegsky...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2014, 8:49:41 AM6/19/14
to webm-d...@webmproject.org
Did the Media Foundation components get updated recently to support VP9 and Opus in the WebM container? I haven't checked lately but wanted to double check.