Khaki Campbell Duck Release

Johann Koenig

Jul 20, 2016, 10:09:07 PM7/20/16
to codec...@webmproject.org
The Khaki Campbell release has been finalized. The only change from
the release candidate was a fix to prevent the encoder from crashing
on odd-sized input [0].

The release is available from the git repository [1] on the
khakicampbell branch and the v1.6.0 tag or the tarball [2].

This release improves upon the VP9 encoder and speeds up the encoding and
decoding processes.

- Upgrading:
This release is ABI incompatible with 1.5.0 due to a new 'color_range' enum
in vpx_image and some minor changes to the VP8_COMP structure.

The default key frame interval for VP9 has changed from 128 to 9999.

- Enhancement:
A core focus has been performance for low end Intel processors. SSSE3
instructions such as 'pshufb' have been avoided and instructions have been
reordered to better accommodate the more constrained pipelines.

As a result, devices based on Celeron processors have seen substantial
decoding improvements. From Indian Runner Duck to Javan Whistling Duck,
decoding speed improved between 10 and 30%. Between Javan Whistling Duck
and Khaki Campbell Duck, it improved another 10 to 15%.

While Celeron benefited most, Core-i5 also improved 5% and 10% between the
respective releases.

Realtime performance for WebRTC for both speed and quality has received a
lot of attention.

- Bug Fixes:
A number of fuzzing issues, found variously by Mozilla, Chromium and others,
have been fixed and we strongly recommend updating.

[0] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/#/c/362033/
[1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libvpx
[2] http://storage.googleapis.com/downloads.webmproject.org/releases/webm/libvpx-1.6.0.tar.bz2

Aℓex Converse

Jul 21, 2016, 7:29:12 PM7/21/16
to codec...@webmproject.org
I'm not sure the key frame interval change made it into the release as described:

James Zern

Jul 21, 2016, 9:47:07 PM7/21/16
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM, 'Aℓex Converse' via Codec Developers
<codec...@webmproject.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure the key frame interval change made it into the release as
> described:
>
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libvpx/+blame/khakicampbell/vp9/vp9_cx_iface.c#1613

The wording appears backward, the change was from 9999 to 128.

Johann Koenig

Jul 22, 2016, 2:30:06 PM7/22/16
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:47 PM, 'James Zern' via Codec Developers
<codec...@webmproject.org> wrote:
> The wording appears backward, the change was from 9999 to 128.

My apologies. Indeed, I got the wording backwards.