VP10 Development Information; Specs?

John C. Westmoreland, P.E.

Dec 4, 2014, 10:47:54 AM12/4/14
to codec...@webmproject.org
Hello All,

Where is the best place to get information on VP10?

Are there any specs available anywhere?

Thanks In Advance,
John Westmoreland

Pieter Kapsenberg

Dec 4, 2014, 11:57:26 AM12/4/14
to codec...@webmproject.org, jo...@westmorelandengineering.com
At the moment there is no specification anywhere, since the project only got started recently and is ever-changing. You may checkout libvpx from source (http://www.webmproject.org/code/), and view the experimental branch.

Jim Bankoski

Dec 4, 2014, 12:00:32 PM12/4/14
to codec...@webmproject.org, jo...@westmorelandengineering.com
nextgen branch.   :)

Luca Barbato

Dec 4, 2014, 12:02:39 PM12/4/14
to codec...@webmproject.org
On 04/12/14 17:57, Pieter Kapsenberg wrote:
> At the moment there is no specification anywhere, since the project only
> got started recently and is ever-changing. You may checkout libvpx from
> source (http://www.webmproject.org/code/), and view the experimental branch.

What about the vp9 specification while at it? Would be extremely useful
to have it while trying to fix or extend independent implementations.
lu

Debargha Mukherjee

Dec 4, 2014, 2:36:17 PM12/4/14
to codec...@webmproject.org, jo...@westmorelandengineering.com
There are two branches that you may check out for VP10 currently.
The first is the playground branch - which is meant to host preliminary experimental tools. The second is the nextgen branch, which will host more stable tools either adopted from the playground branch or new.

For each branch, configure with --enable-experimental along with separate enabling options for various new tools being worked on.

Currently for the playground branch, you can try configuring with any combination of these options in bold:
--enable-experimental --enable-supertx --enable-copy-coding --enable-ext-tx --enable-filterintra --enable-interintra --enable-masked_interintra --enable-masked_interinter
You will get about 4% gain over baseline VP9. There was an ICIP talk recently which talks briefly about these tools, which should be available online sometime.

Currently for the nextgen branch the available tools are:
--enable-experimental --enable-ext-tx --enable-tx64x64 --enable-filterintra --enable-txskip
where ext-tx is a better version of the tool in the playground branch, and txskip is only used in lossless mode. The stable tools from the playground branch are in the process of being promoted to nextgen currently.

--
Debargha Mukherjee, Ph.D.
Staff Software Engineer,

John C. Westmoreland, P.E.

Dec 6, 2014, 10:13:31 PM12/6/14
to Debargha Mukherjee, codec...@webmproject.org
Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, there isn't even a spec for VP9?

Would be interesting to see what the plans are for VP10 vs. HEVC.

Thanks!
John Westmoreland

John C. Westmoreland, P.E.

Dec 6, 2014, 10:19:41 PM12/6/14
to codec...@webmproject.org
Another comment - if that is OK.

So, when you peruse the web for this - you find claims that VP10 will be ready for release 'early 2015' - from this thread - that seems unlikely.
Any comments on that?

Thanks!
John Westmoreland

Михаил Мишуровский

Dec 6, 2014, 10:25:17 PM12/6/14
to codec...@webmproject.org

That's a good point. It's hard to fair  compare hevc vs vp9 because of although there are so many almost the same tools in vp9 as in hevc, some elements are done in essentially different way. W/o good spec the only way is to analyze the code....or play with config files. Even in this case I would say its hard to clear understand how complex algorithms are in vp9 in terms of memory bandwidth,  complexity,  parallelism....
But anyways seeing extra gains over vp9 or hevc would be interesting,  so plans (if any) and specs for vp10 are really good stuff.

Debargha Mukherjee

Dec 8, 2014, 12:56:45 PM12/8/14
to codec...@webmproject.org
The 2015 timeline for VP10 was misquoted.
A more realistic timeline is ~3 years, but also subject to the technical uncertainty of being able to achieve a substantial compression gain over VP9 at reasonable complexity.

Thanks.

kst...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2015, 5:48:06 AM7/14/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
Hi All,

Any update regarding VP10 progress? Currently, what are the tools supported in the nextgen branch?

Thank you!
Message has been deleted