libvpx 1.5.0 release soon

Johann Koenig

Sep 29, 2015, 7:25:44 PM9/29/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
It's been about 6 months since the 1.4.0 release and libvpx has seen
substantial improvements to vp9 encoding speed and quality, more than
a few changes to vp8 to improve WebRTC performance, and massive code
movement and cleanup.

We would like to pick a release candidate within the next few weeks.
If you have issues of any kind with current HEAD please reply or file
a bug[0]. If you have any ideas for improvements please file a bug as
well and we can attempt to fix it for 1.5.0 or triage it for a future
release.

[0] http://www.webmproject.org/code/bug-reporting/

David Pio

Sep 30, 2015, 1:22:09 PM9/30/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
awesome. do you have a sense for a % speedup in vp9 encoding speed since 1.4.0? or maybe a 'top hits' for tools and features within vp9 that have improved in perf?

Thanks!
pio

Michael IV

Sep 30, 2015, 1:27:42 PM9/30/15
to codec...@webmproject.org

What about alpha transparency support?

Johann Koenig

Sep 30, 2015, 6:33:22 PM9/30/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM, David Pio <dpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> awesome. do you have a sense for a % speedup in vp9 encoding speed since
> 1.4.0? or maybe a 'top hits' for tools and features within vp9 that have
> improved in perf?

Unfortunately I don't have anything specific to call out at the
moment. We'll run numbers and have some more information as the
release is finalized.

Johann Koenig

Sep 30, 2015, 6:35:54 PM9/30/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Michael IV <explo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about alpha transparency support?

Alpha was never part of the VP9 bitstream. It's currently in the same
position as VP8 - it is possible to add alpha information outside the
bitstream:
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2013/07/Alpha-transparency-in-Chrome-video?hl=en

However I'm not aware of any recent work on that effort.

Sagara Wijetunga

Oct 9, 2015, 6:28:26 AM10/9/15
to codec...@webmproject.org

Gave it try on chroma 422->420, 420->420 up to 1080p. Seems alright. Noticeably faster, probably 20%+.

I used ffmpeg 2.8 built with libvpx git on Mac OS X.

The -speed parameter does not seems to work in pass 2, does it only work in pass 1?

Regards
Sagara

Johann Koenig

Oct 14, 2015, 8:02:10 PM10/14/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
I'm not actually sure what -speed does in ffmpeg or how it's hooked
up. It's not mentioned in any of the vp8 documentation or general
info. There is mention of -cpu-used which is the vpxenc way of
adjusting speed. 0 is very slow, best compression, 16 is the fastest
setting (but I think only up to about 8 or 10 are defined for vp9):
http://wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/VP8

There are preset files mentioned:
http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#ffpreset-files

-speed is mentioned on the vp9 page but the whole page only has 2 pass examples:
http://wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg/vp9-encoding-guide

Perhaps someone more familiar with ffmpeg could comment.

James Zern

Oct 14, 2015, 8:55:01 PM10/14/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
-speed is an alias for -cpu-used left around for compatibility. Setting it in 2-pass to 0/1/2 should have noticeable effect on both encode time and quality as mentioned above.

Sagara Wijetunga

Oct 18, 2015, 12:23:46 AM10/18/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
Hi James, thanks for the info. I found the issue, -cpu-used was already there in the .ffpreset file set to 0. That's why my -speed was not effective.

So now the -speed is working and the -speed 1 is about 10 times faster the -speed 0 for 480p @ crf 33.

Looking forward to see the 1.5.0 soon.

Sagara