Javan Whistling Duck Release v1.5.0

Johann Koenig

Nov 10, 2015, 4:48:13 PM11/10/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
The VP9 encoder has matured in both speed and quality and many improvements have been made to decoding performance.

The release is ABI incompatible with 1.4.0 and increments the shared object version to 3.0. It removes the long deprecated controls VP8E_UPD_ENTROPY, VP8E_UPD_REFERENCE and VP8E_USE_REFERENCE. VP8 gains a new screen content mode. VP9 gains VP9E_GET_ACTIVE_MAPVP9E_SET_RENDER_SIZEVP9E_SET_COLOR_RANGEVP9E_SET_[MIN|MAX]_GF_INTERVAL, and VP9_SET_SKIP_LOOP_FILTER.

Please update your systems and let us know via the bug tracker[0] or mailing list[1] if you encounter any issues. The release has been finalized and we while we hope all integration issues have been fixed, all reports will be investigated.

What's new?
 - The above codec controls
 - Substantially improved VP9 encoding speed and quality
 - Improvements to VP9 decode speed including algorithmic changes to the multi threaded decoder.

What's not in this release?
 - VP10. The vp10/ directory has been removed from the release branch. Please explore the master and nextgenv2 branches if you are interested in VP10 development.
 - While many improvements have been made for vp9 realtime encoding there are many more ongoing and so we encourage people interesting in this use-case to submit changes to the master branch.

You can get the tarball from the release page [2] or the direct link [3] or by checking it out in git:
$ git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/webm/libvpx
$ cd libvpx
$ git checkout v1.5.0

fnordware

Nov 10, 2015, 10:25:49 PM11/10/15
to Codec Developers
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-8, Johann wrote:
The release is ABI incompatible with 1.4.0 and increments the shared object version to 3.0. It removes the long deprecated controls VP8E_UPD_ENTROPY, VP8E_UPD_REFERENCE and VP8E_USE_REFERENCE. VP8 gains a new screen content mode. VP9 gains VP9E_GET_ACTIVE_MAPVP9E_SET_RENDER_SIZEVP9E_SET_COLOR_RANGEVP9E_SET_[MIN|MAX]_GF_INTERVAL, and VP9_SET_SKIP_LOOP_FILTER.

Good job, all!

So now we can set the color range for a file, but how do we get the color range from the decoder?

Brendan

Ronald S. Bultje

Nov 11, 2015, 6:39:41 AM11/11/15
to Codec Developers