Is it possible for WebP files to display thumbnails on windows 10?

goldnick7

Jan 10, 2022, 8:17:14 PM1/10/22
to WebP Discussion
For example... when it comes to png/jpg/gif/mp4/etc thumbnails are displayed normally in folders/explorer. Whereas when it comes to webp, all you get is an icon depending on your default app.

Is it possible for webp files to display thumbnails?

I tried installing Webp Codec but the only difference I noticed from this is that it allows WebP files to be opened with Windows Photo Viewer which I never use anyway.

Pascal Massimino

Jan 11, 2022, 3:08:52 AM1/11/22
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 2:17 AM goldnick7 <goldn...@gmail.com> wrote:
For example... when it comes to png/jpg/gif/mp4/etc thumbnails are displayed normally in folders/explorer. Whereas when it comes to webp, all you get is an icon depending on your default app.

Is it possible for webp files to display thumbnails?

Showing thumbnails is the OS's responsibility,  not much libwebp can do about.
There are supplemental software that can add thumbnail preview for various formats, including WebP.
For instance, https://www.videohelp.com/software/Icaros , but that's just one example...

I tried installing Webp Codec but the only difference I noticed from this is that it allows WebP files to be opened with Windows Photo Viewer which I never use anyway.

hope it helps,
skal/

goldnick7

Jan 11, 2022, 9:08:48 AM1/11/22
to WebP Discussion, pascal.m...@gmail.com

Amazing! This does the job! Thanks!!

James Zern

Jan 11, 2022, 3:27:54 PM1/11/22

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 10:08:52 AM UTC+2 pascal.m...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 2:17 AM goldnick7 <goldn...@gmail.com> wrote:
For example... when it comes to png/jpg/gif/mp4/etc thumbnails are displayed normally in folders/explorer. Whereas when it comes to webp, all you get is an icon depending on your default app.

Is it possible for webp files to display thumbnails?

Showing thumbnails is the OS's responsibility,  not much libwebp can do about.
There are supplemental software that can add thumbnail preview for various formats, including WebP.
For instance, https://www.videohelp.com/software/Icaros , but that's just one example...

As far as the Microsoft WIC codec is concerned, it does seem to register everything properly [1], but I only see thumbnails in the details panel, not on hover. I didn't dig any further to see if there was something additional needed for that or whether this might just be a bug in the component.

I tried installing Webp Codec but the only difference I noticed from this is that it allows WebP files to be opened with Windows Photo Viewer which I never use anyway.

hope it helps,
skal/

Borhan Uddin

Aug 6, 2022, 12:16:32 AM8/6/22