Webp format not recognised by default in Nemo 4.8.6 under Linux Mint 20.1

Ken T

Jun 28, 2021, 4:58:20 AM6/28/21
to WebP Discussion

Hi folks,

I got the below message when trying to open a webp file today, on an up-to-date system:

"Unknown file type - the file abc.webp has no known programs associated with it."

Sure, I can go and manually make an association, but I imagine it'd be better to have webp recognised by default in file managers across the Linux ecosystem... and might be relatively simply done, I imagine?

Regards,
Ken.
***

James Zern

Jun 28, 2021, 8:50:52 PM6/28/21
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

I don't know if this is a file manager problem per-se, just that any image editors / preview tools you have installed don't have the association. Nemo + gimp, feh or gwenview for example work all right for me. It also shows a thumbnail with 4.8.6 on debian testing. If you have something that opens jpeg images via nemo then that might be worth filing a request for webp support for with that project or if the tool works and there's no association that would be a bug for the Mint team.

Regards,
Ken.
***