libwebp 0.3.0 release candidate

James Zern

Mar 20, 2013, 9:15:07 PM3/20/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

I posted a release candidate (rc6) to the downloads section [1].
This is near final and what I hope to land in chromium, but is still open for comments and bug fixes in the meantime. Well anytime for bug-fixes, but after the release lands in chromium any significant changes will need to wait until a future release. This should be a drop-in replacement for 0.2.x.

Of note in this release:
- the metadata (EXIF/XMP) and color profile (ICC) representations in the format have been finalized
- animation support has been added too. in support of this 2 tools were added to the binary archive:
  * gif2webp - obvious I think
  * webpmux - this can be used to create extended format webp's from any source (using cwebp)
- vwebp is included in the archives with support for ICC and animation. note this requires OpenGL and (free)glut [2]
- the encoder has been sped-up, particularly lossy. in this mode the default has been switched to '-f 60 -strong' improving quality.

James Zern

Mar 20, 2013, 9:29:10 PM3/20/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:15:07 PM UTC-7, James Zern wrote:
Hi,

I posted a release candidate (rc6) to the downloads section [1].
This is near final and what I hope to land in chromium, but is still open for comments and bug fixes in the meantime. Well anytime for bug-fixes, but after the release lands in chromium any significant changes will need to wait until a future release. This should be a drop-in replacement for 0.2.x.

Of note in this release:

I forgot to mention on the Mac binary side I've moved to 10.7 and 10.8 targets as I no longer have the setup to support 10.5 / 10.6.

Szabolcs Péter

Mar 21, 2013, 4:49:51 AM3/21/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

are you interested in cases where webp is somewhat or significantly larger than the animated gif?

Cheers,
 SyP

Pascal Massimino

Mar 21, 2013, 12:46:19 PM3/21/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi  Péter

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Szabolcs Péter <syp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

are you interested in cases where webp is somewhat or significantly larger than the animated gif?

that's definitely of interest!
indeed, while the first is benefiting from lossy compression quite some, lossless compression (the default) is struggling here.
And for you second example both lossless and lossy are larger. There's room for some tuning to be done in gif2webp tool.
Please keep the sample coming if you find more!

Szabolcs Péter

Mar 29, 2013, 10:53:50 AM3/29/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
http://i.imgur.com/Q3cUg29.gif

Original GIF size: 2 217 854
lossless: 1 779 938
lossy default: 2 489 552
lossy -q 50: 2 189 922

It's interesting, how sometimes lossless compression beats lossy hands down. :)

Cheers,
 SyP

James Zern

Mar 29, 2013, 10:55:10 PM3/29/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:15:07 PM UTC-7, James Zern wrote:
Hi,

I posted a release candidate (rc6) to the downloads section [1].
This is near final and what I hope to land in chromium, but is still open for comments and bug fixes in the meantime. Well anytime for bug-fixes, but after the release lands in chromium any significant changes will need to wait until a future release. This should be a drop-in replacement for 0.2.x.

I posted rc7. Note rc6 has landed in chromium dev channel so any major changes will now occur in the master branch for the next release. This pass mostly addresses some tool and doc issues.

Abbreviated list of changes since rc6:
68111ab add missing YUVA->ARGB automatic conversion in WebPEncode()
403bfe8 Container spec: Clarify frame disposal
14af774 container doc: add a note about the 'ANMF' payload
cc635ef Container spec: clarify the background color field
e3e3394 container doc: move RIFF description to own section
4299f39 libwebp/mux: fix double free
e5af49e add doc precision about WebPParseHeaders() return codes
a5ebd14 gif2webp: Bgcolor fix for a special case
3c8eb9a fix bad saturation order in QuantizeBlock
04c7a2e vwebp/animation: fix background dispose
81a5069 Makefile.vc: fix dynamic builds