[ANN] libwebp 0.4.0

James Zern

Dec 30, 2013, 12:53:55 PM12/30/13
to webp-d...@webmproject.org
Hi,

I've finalized the 0.4.0 release [1], there were no changes from rc1. This release contains all the work that was done to add animated WebP support to Chrome [2].
I've also added a couple new windows archives with Windows Imaging Component (WIC) support disabled as we're still missing full metadata support on that side. These 'non-wic' builds have feature parity with Linux and Mac.

From the NEWS file:
  * improved gif2webp tool
  * numerous fixes, compression improvement and speed-up
  * dither option added to decoder (dwebp -dither 50 ...)
  * improved multi-threaded modes (-mt option)
  * improved filtering strength determination
  * New function: WebPMuxGetCanvasSize
  * BMP and TIFF format output added to 'dwebp'
  * Significant memory reduction for decoding lossy images with alpha.
  * Intertwined decoding of RGB and alpha for a shorter
    time-to-first-decoded-pixel.
  * WebPIterator has a new member 'has_alpha' denoting whether the frame
    contains transparency.
  * Container spec amended with new 'blending method' for animation.

As a reminder downloads via google code are slated to be disabled on 1/15/2014 so I'll be making an announcement soon regarding the new location.

Pascal Massimino

Jan 14, 2014, 3:29:03 AM1/14/14
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM, James Zern <jz...@google.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've finalized the 0.4.0 release [1], there were no changes from rc1. This release contains all the work that was done to add animated WebP support to Chrome [2].

FYI: note that the Chromium tree has now been updated to libwebp-0.4.0

I've also added a couple new windows archives with Windows Imaging Component (WIC) support disabled as we're still missing full metadata support on that side. These 'non-wic' builds have feature parity with Linux and Mac.

From the NEWS file:
  * improved gif2webp tool
  * numerous fixes, compression improvement and speed-up
  * dither option added to decoder (dwebp -dither 50 ...)
  * improved multi-threaded modes (-mt option)
  * improved filtering strength determination
  * New function: WebPMuxGetCanvasSize
  * BMP and TIFF format output added to 'dwebp'
  * Significant memory reduction for decoding lossy images with alpha.
  * Intertwined decoding of RGB and alpha for a shorter
    time-to-first-decoded-pixel.
  * WebPIterator has a new member 'has_alpha' denoting whether the frame
    contains transparency.
  * Container spec amended with new 'blending method' for animation.

As a reminder downloads via google code are slated to be disabled on 1/15/2014 so I'll be making an announcement soon regarding the new location.

Pascal Massimino

Jan 19, 2014, 6:50:35 AM1/19/14
to WebP Discussion
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Pascal Massimino <pascal.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM, James Zern <jz...@google.com> wrote:
Hi,

I've finalized the 0.4.0 release [1], there were no changes from rc1. This release contains all the work that was done to add animated WebP support to Chrome [2].

FYI: note that the Chromium tree has now been updated to libwebp-0.4.0

Also: this version has been packaged in Debian and will be making
its way to stable progressively.