profile 1 features

Ronald S. Bultje

May 1, 2015, 2:29:22 AM5/1/15
to Codec Developers
Hello guys,

so, it looks like profile 1 was recently finalized. I'm trying to support it correctly in FFmpeg. Two questions:
- how is RGB channel order defined? I don't see test samples and RGB is not mentioned in the source, other than the colorspace entry in the header. H264/HEVC uses GBR, so for now I've assumed that's identical in VP9, but I'd like to make sure. Could you guys add a 1-2 frame sample to the conformance suite to make this more obvious?
- where did alpha channel go?

As for profile 2/3, is it stable yet? Are the main differences between profile 0/1 and 2/3 (in terms of how many bits per coefficient, clipping behaviour, etc.) documented somewhere, or should I go by the source?

I a profile 4 and up planned? I see extension bits in the header so I'm wondering what's in store.

Thanks,
Ronald

Aℓex Converse

May 5, 2015, 1:32:01 AM5/5/15
to codec...@webmproject.org
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello guys,

Hi,

so, it looks like profile 1 was recently finalized. I'm trying to support it correctly in FFmpeg. Two questions:
- how is RGB channel order defined? I don't see test samples and RGB is not mentioned in the source, other than the colorspace entry in the header. H264/HEVC uses GBR, so for now I've assumed that's identical in VP9, but I'd like to make sure. Could you guys add a 1-2 frame sample to the conformance suite to make this more obvious?

The RGB channel order never got formally defined.

- where did alpha channel go?

It was removed because:
  • It was broken in a whole host of ways.
  • Nobody was using the WebM container level alpha channel for VP8.
  • The reason nobody was using it didn't appear to be related to coding efficiency.
As for profile 2/3, is it stable yet? Are the main differences between profile 0/1 and 2/3 (in terms of how many bits per coefficient, clipping behaviour, etc.) documented somewhere, or should I go by the source?

I a profile 4 and up planned? I see extension bits in the header so I'm wondering what's in store.

Thanks,
Ronald

Ronald S. Bultje

May 5, 2015, 5:49:10 AM5/5/15
to Codec Developers
Hi Alex,

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM, 'Aℓex Converse' via Codec Developers <codec...@webmproject.org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello guys,

Hi,

so, it looks like profile 1 was recently finalized. I'm trying to support it correctly in FFmpeg. Two questions:
- how is RGB channel order defined? I don't see test samples and RGB is not mentioned in the source, other than the colorspace entry in the header. H264/HEVC uses GBR, so for now I've assumed that's identical in VP9, but I'd like to make sure. Could you guys add a 1-2 frame sample to the conformance suite to make this more obvious?

The RGB channel order never got formally defined.

So, can I ask you guys to formally define it? I would personally propose GBR since that's identical to other codecs, but anything is better than not defining it... As said, a sample in the conformance suite (to visually confirm the ordering, and because the header is slightly different for RGB vs. YUV - so full code coverage) would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ronald