New Aspero 5

Chris Pippy

Apr 20, 2021, 8:08:42 AM4/20/21
to WCC General Public
Quite likely the PERFECT do it all bike. Man oh man... :)

Martin Chmiel

Apr 20, 2021, 9:16:17 AM4/20/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Wow! Cervelo has done a remarkable job on this bike; check out the paint options on this Aspero-5.

120g lighter than the original Aspero, same geometry.  New paint options and of course integrated front / cockpit similar to the Caledonia-5.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Chris Pippy <chrisp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Quite likely the PERFECT do it all bike. Man oh man... :)

Sebastian Grela

Apr 20, 2021, 11:03:46 AM4/20/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Hi Chris, just an idea. Why don’t you get the latest version and I will keep yours? Lol. Pros should not ride on some dated jigs :)

Chris Pippy

Apr 20, 2021, 11:06:29 AM4/20/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Ha! The Caledonia 5 is probably better suited to me. :) It can fit bigger chainrings and I usually run a max 32-33mm gravel tire anyways.

Too bad these new bikes are so expensive!

Steve Haase

Apr 20, 2021, 12:22:43 PM4/20/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Loving my Caledonia 5, just need to get myself a gravel tire. Went out with Ryan and crew for the opening leg of the GNR Lite and was skidding all over with the 30mm road tires it comes with.

--
Steve Haase
t: @stevehaase

Joel Rose

Apr 20, 2021, 4:44:12 PM4/20/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Yes pretty pricey....9k+ for the GRX model....WOW!

Chris Pippy

Apr 21, 2021, 8:18:06 AM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Bike prices have taken a turn to the surreal. Zipp just announced a new top of the line 353 wheel set yesterday for the incredible bargain price of $4000.00 USD...

Dino Zunic

Apr 21, 2021, 8:20:39 AM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Keep in mind Chris that this is MSRP, not necessarily what retailers will be asking. Same applies the the ski industry,  crazy amounts for msrp with retailers selling for much less.

That said in this world of covid tax, we could see that $4k US price tag.

Dino Z.

Sent from I Phone 5 Device

Chris Pippy

Apr 21, 2021, 8:23:57 AM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
If you’re sponsored you might get 20% off those prices at an LBS. if you’re manufacturer sponsored (rare) you might get it at cost but regardless the pricing is still silly. :)

Vance L

Apr 21, 2021, 10:03:02 AM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
The market has changed because the cost of goods are up, short supply, high demand.

Deals are rare and shouldn’t be expected because retailers can’t get stock and manufacturers can’t acquire supplies or labour for what it “used to” cost.

Ask someone the price of building supplies or availability or pretreated lumber.

Those high end bike prices are fair if you can find stock.

Martin Chmiel

Apr 21, 2021, 12:23:36 PM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
I agree with Vance 100%.

Demand for bikes significantly increased during the pandemic, everyone and their mother wants to own a bike these days. Bike enthusiasts want to own multiple bikes and/or purchase new models.Supply is having a hard time catching up to this skyrocketing demand (not to mention other supply issues such as backlogs at shipping ports) -- and thus setting a higher price on bikes than before. A similar and more drastic trend can be seen with Lumber prices:

Here is a 5 year chart of Lumber futures - you can clearly see the pandemic related rise after 2020 (these are record prices we are seeing these days):

image.png
Question is -- How long will this last?

When the pandemic ends, and people start selling their bikes they are not using anymore; we should see prices drop. And if there is a glut of supply of bikes, we might even see these prices drop below pandemic levels. Imagine the day when your LBS has too many bikes on hand, and you can pick whatever you want at a price lower than MSRP.  :)

Chris Pippy

Apr 21, 2021, 12:25:25 PM4/21/21
to general...@waterloocyclingclub.ca
Oh I agree on the causes, I just marvel at how high prices have gotten. :)