Repair my SE/30 at VCF-W?

David Glover-Aoki

Aug 1, 2022, 3:09:06 PM8/1/22
to Bay_Area_(Retro)_Computer_Hobbyists
Is anyone doing Macintosh recapping at VCF-W? I’ll be exhibiting my Acorn stuff but meanwhile at home I have acquired a dead SE/30.

Sadly it was alive before the previous owner “attempted” a recapping, and botched it. I think they may have lifted some tracks from the motherboard.

If I bring it to VCF, is there anyone who could take a look at it? I am of course willing to pay for the repair.

Cheers,

David.

Adrian Chadd

Aug 1, 2022, 3:39:34 PM8/1/22
to David Glover-Aoki, Bay_Area_(Retro)_Computer_Hobbyists
post some photos? let's see what damage they've done. ;(

-a

Erik Klein

Aug 2, 2022, 12:45:21 PM8/2/22
to Bay_Area_(Retro)_Computer_Hobbyists, da...@gloveraoki.net
One of our Exhibits at VCF West:

--
Vintage Circuit Board Recapping & Repair
Arion Paylo

I'd say bring the machine in and see what Arion can do with it.

David Glover-Aoki

Aug 7, 2022, 9:42:50 PM8/7/22
to Bay_Area_(Retro)_Computer_Hobbyists
Huge thank you to Arion Paylo who opened up my SE/30 and discovered that the previous owner had removed the caps and… that was it. The caps were simply missing. (!)

He replaced them and now my Mac is working.

Thank you Arion, you are amazing.

David.

Seth Marinello

Aug 8, 2022, 10:53:23 PM8/8/22
to Bay_Area_(Retro)_Computer_Hobbyists, da...@gloveraoki.net
I'd like to thank Arion too for taking a look at my IIci logic board and giving me a lot of tips on how to better approach surface mount caps.

After his pass on my board I can confirm I now get the machine to power up! I even get activity on my BlueSCSI read light so I think the machine is MOSTLY working. Currently no audio (I took off 3 pads trying to get the caps off so not a huge surprise) and no video even on an Apple 16' Color Display. I'll keep debugging but I haven't seen a sign of life from this machine in years so this is such progress. Thanks again!

iici.jpeg