Message 2023-November-4-2023: Standard distances, JR Counter maintenance, Smart quotes, Certified splits, RRTC meeting

Mark Neal

Nov 4, 2023, 7:36:57 PM11/4/23
to usatf-rrtc...@usatfne.org
Table of Contents
 - Please show standard distances for courses
 - JR Counter maintenance
 - Please avoid using Smart Quotes on course names
 - Certified splits with the online certification system
 - RRTC meeting and Olympic Marathon Trials course measurement

Please show standard distances for courses

Our certificates and maps need to show distances that align with World Athletics standard distances.  The following is the information provided in the USATF/RRTC Course Measurement and Certification Procedures Manual Appendix I Map requirements:

15. Course Distance

a. Distances are stated in kilometers unless the certified distance is in whole miles or is a very specific mile distance (e.g., 10 miles, 3.5 miles).

b. The certified distance must be shown on the primary map and must match the course distance on the certificate.

c. If the certified distance exceeds the advertised distance, the certified distance must be shown on the certificate and primary map.

Contact Jane Parks (jan...@gmail.com) with questions.

JR Counter maintenance
Below is advice from Mike Wickiser:
What wears out on any and all versions since the original Clain Jones counter is the large gear that is driven by the connection to the bike spokes.
The large gear is encased in the counter chassis and over time wears to the point where it gets sloppy. Adding a light lubricant helps prevent that wear and reduces the noise during operation. Using grease of any kind collects dirt and grit increasing that wear.
I recommend lubricating with a light oil such as 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil to help with gear wear without attracting dirt and grime from the assembly.
If WD-40 is employed, I would use it every time I went out to measure. I have used it from time to time. The only problem is the viscosity is so low that it tends to wash away from use.

Please avoid using Smart Quotes on course names
See Justin's explanation in the link below.

Certified splits with the online certification system
See Justin's explanation in the link below.

RRTC meeting and Olympic Marathon Trials course measurement
RRTC in-person meeting will be held at the USATF Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL, at 9am on Saturday, December 2. All persons registered for the USATF Meeting are welcome.
A group measurement of the US Olympic Marathon Trial course loop in Orlando will take place at 11pm on Friday, December 1. If you are interested in joining this measurement contact David Katz (dk...@gmail.com).