How to build Urbit on my local PC

Pranjal Maurya

Oct 17, 2023, 3:21:26 AM10/17/23
to urbit-dev
Hello,
I want to build locally on my PC like we build chromium and make changes to it. So what is the process to do that so that I can build Urbit on my PC and customize it.

mark

Oct 17, 2023, 8:53:57 AM10/17/23
to Pranjal Maurya, urbit-dev
Hi,

Assuming you're asking about the runtime (the "urbit" process, aka vere), build instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/urbit/vere/blob/develop/INSTALL.md

We currently use bazel as our build system. Installing that and the necessary dependencies should be sufficient to get you up and running.

--
~palfun-foslup
https://tlon.io

Vinney Cavallo

Oct 17, 2023, 10:55:47 AM10/17/23
to urbit-dev, mark, urbit-dev, Pranjal Maurya
Pranjal,

If you're talking about the hoon internals, you can install urbit on your machine (https://urbit.org/getting-started/cli), then check the help output (./urbit -h) to understand how to boot a "fake ship" (-F, --fake SHIP  Boot fake urbit; also disables networking).
It would look like this: "./urbit -F zod"
Once you have a fake ship running, you can run this command at the dojo (the ship's CLI): |mount %base
That will create a folder in the "pier" (the directory that gets created for the ship you just booted) called "base" which has all the .hoon source code that you can freely inspect and/or change.

If you booted a fake ~zod, as mentioned above, you would end up with a directory called "zod" alongside your urbit binary, and "zod/base" would hold the aforementioned source code.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Vinney
~sogrum-savluc

Pranjal Maurya

Oct 24, 2023, 2:11:19 AM10/24/23
to Vinney Cavallo, urbit-dev, mark
Hello again,
Can you please tell me how to remove the azimuth identity layer from Urbit ?

What I want is to remove the ethereum based identity mechanism from Azimuth, so please share some information on what azimuth exactly works and how to remove it without creating any problem with rest of urbit

Nicholas Podges

Oct 24, 2023, 10:02:50 AM10/24/23
to Pranjal Maurya, Vinney Cavallo, urbit-dev, mark
Pranjal,

I believe the project you're looking for is Urbit Classic.

Kind regards.

mark

Oct 25, 2023, 3:03:58 PM10/25/23
to Pranjal Maurya, Vinney Cavallo, urbit-dev
Slightly more serious answer, for posterity:

For networking, Ames gets its public keys (and breach notifications) from Jael, which in turn gets them from the Azimuth userspace agent (in /app/azimuth). Jael's code has that (%azimuth) hardcoded into it, but could be made to talk to a different agent pretty easily, as long as it communicates key change & sponsorship events in the same way.

> remove it without creating problems with the rest of urbit

If by "urbit" you mean the rest of arvo, I don't _think_ too much on the setup above using /app/azimuth, so you should be able to replace it pretty easily.
If by "urbit" you mean the rest of the network, well: to talk to other urbits over ames, you're going to need the public keys they published through the Azimuth contract, and they expect your public keys to be published there too (comets and moons being exceptions to this).

--
~palfun-foslup
https://tlon.io

Cooper

Oct 31, 2023, 1:17:55 AM10/31/23
to urbit-dev, mark, urbit-dev
Hello Mark,

Can you please explain this? I have been also working on a project and trying to tweak this Azimuth a little bit but haven't found much of a clue. I don't wanna remove it, but surely want to make some changes and maybe will attach a different identity creation mechanism to this so that dependency on Ethereum is gone for good.

Please explain to me how this Azimuth is connected to Urbit and how it exactly works & If I want to make changes where should I?

Thanks.

Cooper

Oct 31, 2023, 1:22:10 AM10/31/23
to urbit-dev, Nicholas Podges

Hello Nicholas,

I was trying to attach a different identity mechanism to Urbit and remove this Azimuth thing as I want to create my own network using my own blockchain. Do you have any ideas?