wat means `pier: serf error: end of file`

Anthony Arroyo

Oct 15, 2020, 1:11:31 PM10/15/20
to urbit-dev, joe bryan
I've seen two ships join a large chat channel and hit this after downloading the whole backlog. I don't know what this error means/what could cause it. Halp.

~poldec-tonteg

salmun-nister

Oct 15, 2020, 1:44:31 PM10/15/20
to Anthony Arroyo, urbit-dev
I'm seeing that message when my ship has been crashing, starting about a day ago.

~salmun-nister:dojo> -«ames»
bail: meme
bailing out
pier: serf error: end of file
~salmun-nister:dojo>
address 0x438 out of loom!
loom: [0x200000000 : 0x280000000)
Assertion '0' failed in noun/events.c:129

bail: oops
bailing out
Assertion failed: 0 (noun/manage.c: u3m_bail: 677)
Aborted (core dumped)

~salmun-nister

Oct 15, 2020, 1:59:47 PM10/15/20
to Anthony Arroyo, salmun-nister, urbit-dev
If I had to wager a guess, it's because a landscape session/channel is still connected, and so gets sent updates for every single message that we load in on-join (usually, the entire backlog).

channel.js sends acks, but can't do this within the same event that Eyre is sending the updates out, so they'll still hang around in Eyre state for a little bit, eating into the loom.

I suspect #3680 will prevent that from happening, by killing the channel if its "buffer" fills up too much:
https://github.com/urbit/urbit/pull/3680

~palfun-foslup
https://urbit.org

Liam Fitzgerald

Oct 15, 2020, 6:27:45 PM10/15/20
to Mark, Anthony Arroyo, salmun-nister, urbit-dev
Sometimes this can be fixed by running `|unlink %chat-cli` and then
joining the affected channels. This has the side effect of disabling
chat-cli, so you will probably want to run `|link %chat-cli`
afterwards, in order to re-enable it.
——
~hastuc-dibtux

https://urbit.org

joe bryan

Oct 15, 2020, 6:54:29 PM10/15/20
to Liam Fitzgerald, Mark, Anthony Arroyo, salmun-nister, urbit-dev
I wrote up a pretty extensive explanation of the these errors, and the current state of our recovery tools: https://github.com/urbit/urbit/issues/3645#issuecomment-709631355

Thanks.

-jb

~master-morzod