Creating an unchanging link for the most recent stable version of the Urbit binary

53 views
Skip to first unread message

Christopher King

unread,
Sep 20, 2020, 4:59:51 PMSep 20
to urbit-dev
Enterprising Tloners in my hosting platform announcement thread pointed out that the ships I generate use an outdated version of Landscape. A long-term solution to this problem will be made easier by a link that can always be depended upon to provide the most recent version of Urbit. I don't believe this link currently exists; the Darwin version listed in the docs was most recently changed as part of a larger commit on August 13.

Can Tlon set this up? I can't imagine I'm the only one it will help in the long run.

Matilde Park

unread,
Sep 20, 2020, 5:06:08 PMSep 20
to Christopher King, urbit-dev
We do actually keep the binary updated on using/install as part of the deploy process. That git commit’s history is missing the commits between its first revision in April and the commit in August.

0.10.8 was amended upon release, as part of release, in July: https://github.com/urbit/urbit.org/commit/eb0b0a5eee7fdf6fe7977f1f5a7e3cb0b5968b69#diff-5b8a59c326c2d18d9bb6bada64f77be5

0.10.7 and 0.10.6 in June:
https://github.com/urbit/urbit.org/commit/3a6bac3c092eee4010e8f557a457ea29e0471f9e#diff-5b8a59c326c2d18d9bb6bada64f77be5
https://github.com/urbit/urbit.org/commit/660c26cc55c747cddf67843076cb58bec8f24472#diff-5b8a59c326c2d18d9bb6bada64f77be5

The ships you generate use the Landscape that came with the pill, I believe? Which is about a month old; we are moving so fast that this is quite old. I believe Hosting team is considering how to speed the pill stuff up a bit and remove the initial OTA delay for people spinning up ships.


~haddef-sigwen
https://urbit.org

Tyler Shuster

unread,
Sep 20, 2020, 5:15:22 PMSep 20
to Matilde Park, Christopher King, urbit-dev
I believe Christopher is talking about a url like urbit.org/download/latest, right?

T

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 2:06 PM, Matilde Park <mat...@tlon.io> wrote:
>
> We do actually keep the binary updated on using/install as part of the deploy process. That git commit’s history is missing the commits between its first revision in April and the commit in August.
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dev+uns...@urbit.org.
>

Christopher King

unread,
Sep 20, 2020, 5:16:35 PMSep 20
to urbit-dev, ~radbur-sivmus, Christopher King, urbit-dev, Matilde Park
Yes to ~radbur-sivmus's question.

Matilde Park

unread,
Sep 20, 2020, 7:56:11 PMSep 20
to Christopher King, urbit-dev, ~radbur-sivmus
Ok. This can be done. I just have to think real quick on making it legible to maintainers...

On Sep 20, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Christopher King <ch...@cking.me> wrote:

Yes to ~radbur-sivmus's question.

N E Davis

unread,
Sep 22, 2020, 2:48:20 PMSep 22
to Matilde Park, Christopher King, urbit-dev, ~radbur-sivmus
Related:  do you post pills for each OTA anywhere?

NED



‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

Philip Monk

unread,
Sep 22, 2020, 7:46:58 PMSep 22
to N E Davis, Christopher King, urbit-dev, ~radbur-sivmus, Matilde Park
If you mean pill hashes, we respond to the [ANNOUNCE] email with the pill hashes when we make them.


On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM, N E Davis <Neal....@protonmail.com> wrote:
Related:  do you post pills for each OTA anywhere?

NED



‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 6:56 PM, Matilde Park <matilde@tlon.io> wrote:

Ok. This can be done. I just have to think real quick on making it legible to maintainers...

On Sep 20, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Christopher King <chris@cking.me> wrote:
Yes to ~radbur-sivmus's question.

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 5:15:22 PM UTC-4 ~radbur-sivmus wrote:
I believe Christopher is talking about a url like urbit.org/download/latest, right?

T

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 2:06 PM, Matilde Park <mat...@tlon.io> wrote:
>
> We do actually keep the binary updated on using/install as part of the deploy process. That git commit’s history is missing the commits between its first revision in April and the commit in August.
>
>
> 0.10.7 and 0.10.6 in June:
>
> The ships you generate use the Landscape that came with the pill, I believe? Which is about a month old; we are moving so fast that this is quite old. I believe Hosting team is considering how to speed the pill stuff up a bit and remove the initial OTA delay for people spinning up ships.
>
> —
> ~haddef-sigwen
>
>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 4:59 PM, Christopher King <ch...@cking.me> wrote:
>>
>> Enterprising Tloners in my hosting platform announcement thread pointed out that the ships I generate use an outdated version of Landscape. A long-term solution to this problem will be made easier by a link that can always be depended upon to provide the most recent version of Urbit. I don't believe this link currently exists; the Darwin version listed in the docs was most recently changed as part of a larger commit on August 13.
>>
>> Can Tlon set this up? I can't imagine I'm the only one it will help in the long run.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dev+uns...@urbit.org.
>


--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dev+unsubscribe@urbit.org.

~radbur-sivmus

unread,
Nov 13, 2020, 6:18:53 PMNov 13
to urbit-dev, urbit-dev
Any progress on this idea? Being able to curl -OL urbit.org/latest would be really nice for an idea I'm developing

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 4:46:58 PM UTC-7 phi...@tlon.io wrote:
If you mean pill hashes, we respond to the [ANNOUNCE] email with the pill hashes when we make them.


On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM, N E Davis <Neal....@protonmail.com> wrote:
Related:  do you post pills for each OTA anywhere?

NED



‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 6:56 PM, Matilde Park <mat...@tlon.io> wrote:

Ok. This can be done. I just have to think real quick on making it legible to maintainers...

On Sep 20, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Christopher King <ch...@cking.me> wrote:
Yes to ~radbur-sivmus's question.

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 5:15:22 PM UTC-4 ~radbur-sivmus wrote:
I believe Christopher is talking about a url like urbit.org/download/latest, right?

T

> On Sep 20, 2020, at 2:06 PM, Matilde Park <mat...@tlon.io> wrote:
>
> We do actually keep the binary updated on using/install as part of the deploy process. That git commit’s history is missing the commits between its first revision in April and the commit in August.
>
>
> 0.10.7 and 0.10.6 in June:
>
> The ships you generate use the Landscape that came with the pill, I believe? Which is about a month old; we are moving so fast that this is quite old. I believe Hosting team is considering how to speed the pill stuff up a bit and remove the initial OTA delay for people spinning up ships.
>
> —
> ~haddef-sigwen
>
>> On Sep 20, 2020, at 4:59 PM, Christopher King <ch...@cking.me> wrote:
>>
>> Enterprising Tloners in my hosting platform announcement thread pointed out that the ships I generate use an outdated version of Landscape. A long-term solution to this problem will be made easier by a link that can always be depended upon to provide the most recent version of Urbit. I don't believe this link currently exists; the Darwin version listed in the docs was most recently changed as part of a larger commit on August 13.
>>
>> Can Tlon set this up? I can't imagine I'm the only one it will help in the long run.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dev+uns...@urbit.org.
>


--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dev+uns...@urbit.org.

Anton Dyudin

unread,
Nov 13, 2020, 6:59:56 PMNov 13
to ~radbur-sivmus, urbit-dev
I vote it at least be urbit.org/x86_64-unknown-linux-musl/latest or something similarly explicit :P

Matilde Park

unread,
Nov 16, 2020, 12:23:09 PM (13 days ago) Nov 16
to Anton Dyudin, ~radbur-sivmus, urbit-dev
I couldn’t conceive of a good idea that didn’t just add more manual work for maintainers. We can just add a redirect to the urbit.org repo but then we’d need to ensure it’s changed with everything else.


~haddef-sigwen
https://urbit.org
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages