How to "reset" a ship?

Christopher King

Mar 22, 2021, 5:41:00 PM3/22/21
to urbit-dev
I've got a couple of planets that were used by customers at geturbitid.com that didn't care to keep them after leaving the service. I'd like to recycle them for some other use. Beyond deleting the pier, what steps do I need to take so that the network basically disregards all prior knowledge of the ship?

Philip Monk

Mar 22, 2021, 6:12:41 PM3/22/21
to Christopher King, urbit-dev
Assuming you have their ownership key, you'll need to perform a breach.  This will let you create a new pier from scratch.

What I'm not totally sure about is whether they'll automatically receive invites to groups they were in or something.  Someone from the Landscape team can answer that.

You can test this flow without spending ETH by doing it with moons.  Boot a moon, join some groups, delete the moon, on the planet run |moon-breach ~moon-name, boot the moon again (with the same keys) and see if it all works fine.

Matilde Park

Mar 22, 2021, 6:14:25 PM3/22/21
to Philip Monk, Christopher King, urbit-dev
They won’t get invites or anything. Their pre-existing DMs and memberships will exist on the host, but they won’t be re-subscribed on a breach.

~haddef-sigwen
https://urbit.org