Clarification on seed locales

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Dec 14, 2022, 3:26:55 PM12/14/22
to cldr-...@unicode.org
Hi,

I have a script that I would periodically use to get the list of supported locales in CLDR, and I would also add the locales listed as "seed" (I ran it last time against v40, so a while ago).

I realized today that the concept of seed locales is gone with v41, and traced it down to this ticket

What's unclear to me is if all locales listed in "common" will be available in software relying on CLDR. Also, what happens to locales that are just starting out?

For example, "lij" or "ab" used to be available in seed, but are not even listed in

Francesco

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]

Dec 14, 2022, 3:58:54 PM12/14/22
to cldr-...@unicode.org
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the explanation.

For us, looking at "seed" was a way to understand if there was some data to start from, or if a locale would need to start from scratch.

I believe I can replicate that check by looking if a locale is available in "common" (e.g. common/main) but not actually available (i.e. listed in https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr-json/blob/main/cldr-json/cldr-core/availableLocales.json). Not sure if there's a smarter way to do the first check (some sort of "all locales" list).

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Thomas Eugene Bishop <thomas...@wenlin.com> wrote:
Hi Francesco,

I think support for formerly-seed locales still depends on the particular software that relies on CLDR, and generally the support may continue to be limited or absent for locales not listed in

Formerly the goal was for each locale in seed to move to common. Now the goal is for each locale that is not yet in coverageLevels.txt to get added to that file, when the requirements are met for at least the Basic level.

Best wishes,

Tom

Steven R. Loomis

Dec 14, 2022, 4:58:44 PM12/14/22
to Francesco Lodolo [:flod], cldr-...@unicode.org
Francesco,
 JSON’s available list is based on coverageLevels.txt. So you should be using that file.

 Note there is a coverageLevels.json on the json side.

 The “all locales list” is the list of files in common, now.

 Also note the “exemplars” directory which is just exemplars for many more, from SIL