Need help to understand the vetting process

Grzegorz Kulik

Jun 20, 2023, 10:46:01 AM6/20/23
to CLDR Users Public Mail List
Hello,

I've been trying to understand the process of voting. According to the information here:

to get approved, a value needs four or move votes (the language is Silesian, ISO code: szl). I brought four voters, whose vetter level was obviously "Guest Vetter", so according to the same page their votes were counted as 1. They voted, the values had four votes but their status never changed and remained as unconfirmed. It happened during a previous cycle.

The question is: how so? Is there something I'm not understanding here? Please, someone help me out here.

Best
Greg

Steven R. Loomis

Jun 20, 2023, 11:53:34 AM6/20/23
to Grzegorz Kulik, CLDR Users Public Mail List
Please take a look at https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-16612 — it’s a topic we are actively discussing and working on.

Adding more voters doesn’t help here.  But we are planning on changing some policies.

meanwhile, the best is to work on adding any new items needed.

--
Steven R. Loomis
Code Hive Tx, LLC

Grzegorz Kulik

Jun 20, 2023, 4:03:08 PM6/20/23
to CLDR Users Public Mail List, s...@icu-project.org, CLDR Users Public Mail List, Grzegorz Kulik
Hello Steven,

thank you so much for this information; finally there's some light because I couldn't wrap my head around it by myself.

So according to what you sent if there's multiple guest accounts, all their votes count as one. I thought they get added together so thisi is clear now. At the same time to register as an organisation you have to be one of the following:
  1. A government agency (national or regional), major academic institution, recognized language authority, or similar organization.
  2. A major device manufacturer or software vendor
  3. A full, institutional, supporting, or associate member of Unicode (https://home.unicode.org/membership/members/) that is not involved in the TC.
I have to say these criteria are extremely unfriendly to languages that are unrecognised because of political reasons. We (Silesians) have been trying to keep our language and culture alive just by ourselves. The Council of Europe has been insisting on the Polish authorities to open a dialog with us (see here if interested https://rm.coe.int/4th-op-poland-en/1680993391 paragraphs 20-22, pages 8-9). Because of the situation, while there's plenty of Silesian academics, we're unable to fulfill any of the above.

Unicode has this message on its frontpage: "Everyone in the world should be able to use their own language on phones and computers" but with rules like that I would rather call it an obstacle on the way to this very idea. I saw that you reported it as a problem so thank you for noticing and approaching it.

Best
Greg

Steven R. Loomis

Jun 20, 2023, 4:03:08 PM6/20/23
to Grzegorz Kulik, CLDR Users Public Mail List
Grzegorz,
 As the head of the new committee working on exactly this issue, I’m sorry it’s taken so long to make it clear. At the same time we are working on trying to improve the situation.

--
Steven R. Loomis
Code Hive Tx, LLC

On Jun 20, 2023, at 12:04 PM, Grzegorz Kulik <gregor...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

You don’t need an ‘organization’ to progress Silesian.  I sent another email with some concrete steps to make sure that Basic level data is present, please follow those and we will work on progressing Silesian.

Unicode has this message on its frontpage: "Everyone in the world should be able to use their own language on phones and computers" but with rules like that I would rather call it an obstacle on the way to this very idea. I saw that you reported it as a problem so thank you for noticing and approaching it.

Exactly.