Re: Digit grouping and minimumGroupingDigits

Piotr Karocki

Aug 4, 2023, 10:49:59 AM8/4/23
to cldr-...@unicode.org
Such grouping is also recommended by SI:

https://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure , 5.4.4, third paragraph.

Following the 9th CGPM (1948, Resolution 7) and the 22nd CGPM (2003,
Resolution 10), for numbers with many digits the digits may be divided into
groups of three by a space, in order to facilitate reading. Neither dots nor
commas are inserted in the spaces between groups of three. However, when
there are only four digits before or after the decimal marker, it is
customary not to use a space to isolate a single digit. The practice of
grouping digits in this way is a matter of choice; it is not always followed
in certain specialized applications such as engineering drawings, financial
statements and scripts to be read by a computer.

To be exact, since 1948 numbers may be divided in groups of three in order
to facilitate reading; neither dots nor commas are ever inserted in the
spaces between
groups. And in 2003 it was reaffirmed.