Web Developer Meeting update

Craig Biles

Jul 31, 2020, 11:38:15 AM7/31/20
to University Web Developers
Hey there. Hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well with this different environment we're now working in. I wanted to reach out since we have not had a chance to meet and I don't want the fact that we can't meet in person to keep us from sharing information. Remember that this Google group is an open group and you can query the group when you get stumped or you can share a new tool or solution that you've found in your web exploration.

I'd like to do the sharing part. A post in last month's WordPress.com blog introduced some changes to WordPress that they think allow you to "Enjoy a Smoother Experience with the Updated Block Editor".

They specifically call out improvements to the citation portion of the Quote, Image, and Embed blocks as well as others. They demonstrate some streamlining of the heading selections and a new way to select a parent block with ease.

They've changed some of the block categories so don't get confused by these transitions. New block headings are Text, Media, and Design and gone are Common, Formatting, and Layout.

In UNCG specific news:
  • The "UNCG Next Generation Website" project is moving along. We've selected an agency to help guide us, they have been on a virtual listening tour with parties around campus (including students), and strategy is being developed for next steps. We hope to share more soon.
  • ITS is testing a move of our Google Analytics to Google Tag Manager. This should allow us to take advantage of the great tools available in GTM when rolled out.
  • University Communications has new assets to kick off the academic year. Many of these are new Brand Stories with new student profiles. If one of these student stories is a good way to tell your department/school/college story the assets are available on the UC website.
  • UC has added some guidance on taking photos of people in this time of social distancing and has made the "Shield our Spartans" graphic available in the UNCG Brand Guide.
  • A video will soon be available related to Campus Safety and avoiding transmission of Coronavirus and a new UNCG specific graphic shows proper technique for wearing a face covering.
Everyone stay well and keep doing the great work that you're known for. Let us know if there are resources we can help with as we start this new academic year.

Spiro-Minerva-facecovering.jpg

M. Craig Biles
University Digital Design and
Mobile Communications Developer