Summer Nature Outdoor Programs in Price Park (Kathleen Clay Library)

Sustain-L

Apr 29, 2021, 2:53:08 PM4/29/21
to Sustain-L

Join us for these Summer Nature Outdoor Programs in Price Park (Kathleen Clay Library)

Summer Programs 2021

Outdoor Adventurers of Color Series
Outdoor Adventurers of Color is a monthly series exploring opportunities for outdoor recreation, socialization, and engagement.

Saturday, June 19, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Outdoor Adventurers of Color: Birding
Are you interested in birding, want to make new friends, and discover birds in our area. Bring a water bottle and enjoy some morning snacks under the picnic shelter in Price Park while we share some birding tips. Then enjoy a birding stroll through the park. If you don’t have binoculars, we will have some to borrow. Registration is required for this event: melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Saturday, July 31, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Outdoor Adventurers of Color: Nature Photography
Capturing pictures of wildlife and plants can present its own challenges with issues of lighting, movement, and composition. Meet other photography enthusiasts while learning from local experts. Bring your camera or smart phone and we’ll provide some morning snacks. Registration is required for this event: melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Monday, August 16, 7:00 – 8:00 pm
Outdoor Adventurers of Color: Trail Walking
Enjoy an evening trail walk in Price Park. Bring your water bottle and we’ll provide a trail snack and information about other local trails. Meet under the picnic shelter in park. Registration is required for this event: melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Environmental Education Workshops

Birding Stroll
Saturday, June 12, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Join Matt Wangerin from the Piedmont Bird Club and discover a variety of bird species walking through different habitats in Price Park. Matt will share how to use Merlin Bird ID and eBird to help your bird identification skills. Earn NC Environmental Education Certification credit. Registration required: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Growing Up WILD Hybrid Workshop
Wednesday, July 21, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Growing Up WILD is an early childhood curriculum which shares activities to build a child’s sense of wonder and exploration of nature. CC King, Educator with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission will lead this workshop for teachers, parents, and youth leaders. The workshop includes pre-assignments. Participants can earn credit towards the NC Environmental Education Certification and CEUs. To receive a zoom invite for this workshop, e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Botanical Drawing Outdoors
Thursday, August 5, 10 – 11 am

Bring your sketch pad, pencils, and a chair and learn how to incorporate form, color and the details of plant species in your art. Local artist and environmental educator from Greensboro Parks, Alma Stott will guide your compositions while we draw outside using plant species in Price Park as guides. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Green Living Series

How to Handle Your Garden Bugs
June 24, 10 – 11:30 am
Kathleen Clay Library, 1420 Price Park Rd. Greensboro
Come see a Reading Garden demonstration with Quina Weber-Shirk, Community and School Gardens Agent with NC Cooperative Extension Guilford County Center.
Quina will show tips on controlling garden pests that impact your vegetables, herbs and edible flowers using Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
Discover how to identify pest damage and bring beneficial bugs to benefit your plants.
Registration is required for this event: melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Cook Vegan with Us
July 14, 7:30 – 8:30 pm
Discover some vegan tips while cooking with two Piedmont Area Vegan Educators. Cynteah Giddings is a local vegan recipe creator, personal chef, and food blogger based in Greensboro.  Her recipe will have a Caribbean and Afro-Cuban flavor.  Sena Crutchley, UNCG professor and member of UNCG’s Sustainability Council will share another flavorful recipe. We will provide the recipes and you can cook with us through a zoom demonstration. E-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov  for a list of ingredients and the zoom registration link.

Go Outside with the Library

Watercolor Painting Outdoors
Thursday, June 10,  10 – 11:30 am
Adults join us for a watercolor painting class on the lawn at the Kathleen Clay Library. Painter, Cyndy Wolfe, will demonstrate water color painting techniques as we paint Price Park scenery. Bring your paint brushes, canvas and paint, and a chair. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Wildlife Observation Outdoors
July 12, 7 – 8 pm

Mary Frances Rosa, environmental educator with REI will show outdoor techniques in Price Park to enhance your wildlife observation in the summer. Dress for trail walking and we will provide a small journal for note taking. Registration is required for this even: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Summer Nights and Fireflies
Monday, August 2  7:00 – 8:00 pm
Join us for an evening walk in Price Park.  We will provide short poems and small journals to help guide some reflection along your stroll. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Green Read Series

The Home Place
Friday, June 25, 12:00 – 1:00 pm

Join for a discussion of the book, The Home Place: Memoirs of a Colored Man’s Love Affair with Nature. Ornithology, J. Drew Lanham shares his love of land growing up in Edgefield County, SC. He connects issues of nature, identity and belonging in this memoir. Pick up a copy of the selection at the Kathleen Clay Library. Bring a lawn chair and join us for a discussion in the park. The discussion will also be available via zoom. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

World of Wonders
Friday, July 23, 12:00 – 1:00 pm

Join for a discussion of the book, World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments. Enjoy this beautifully illustrated nature essay collection which shares the wonders of the natural world.  Pick up a copy of the selection at the Kathleen Clay Library. Bring a lawn chair and join us for a discussion in the park. The discussion will also be available via zoom. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

What’s Wrong with Appalachia
Friday, August 20, 12:00 – 1:00 pm
Join for a discussion of the book, What’s Wrong with Appalachia? Pick up a copy of the selection at the Kathleen Clay Library. Bring a lawn chair and join us for a discussion in the park. Registration is required for this event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Family Program

ecoEXPLORE: Herpetology
Wednesday, June 9, 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Families join us on the lawn at the Kathleen Clay Library for a fun program about frogs. See some live frogs and encounter froggy fun with help from Parks and Recreation educator, Jennifer Phelps. Also learn how to identify frog calls with NC Wildlife Resources Educator, CC King. Discover how you can participate in the citizen science program, ecoEXPLORE,earn badges and prizes, and meet and help scientists. Earn a herpetology badge see how frogs depend on our creeks. This program is sponsored by the NC Arboretum in Asheville and the Greensboro Science Center. Registration required for the event: e-mail melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Melanie Buckingham, Environmental Resources Librarian

Kathleen Clay Library

1420 Price Park Rd.

Greensboro, NC 27410
336-373-2923

melanie.b...@greensboro-nc.gov

Please note that email sent to and from this address is subject
to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.