Next week: del Val, 26-Mar-24, 12:20pm Central

Ellad Tadmor

Mar 19, 2024, 1:58:17 PMMar 19
to aem-solid...@umn.edu
AEM Mechanics Research Seminar

Tuesday 26-Mar-2024, 12:20pm Central

Prof. Anabel del Val
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota

Title:  Bayesian techniques in scientific research: perspectives from a fluid dynamicist

Abstract: Today, Bayesian “anything” (inference, statistics, algorithm, learning, etc) is seen as a modern, advanced, state-of-the-art term in the engineering sciences. Why, exactly, is that for such an old theory (from the 1700s)? The ubiquitous Bayes’ theorem was formulated as the answer to a very basic question of chance. It was only later that Laplace grounded it in the rigorous mathematical framework that we know today by surveying France’s population ratio of males to females. Numerous fundamental advances in math together with major algorithmic developments have substantially expanded its applicability to increasingly complex engineering problems. In this talk, I will take you through the history of Bayes’ theorem while introducing its basic technical aspects. We will discuss a practical problem of interest where the reasoning behind the theory is clearly illustrated. Lastly, I will highlight some of the advancements in hypersonics research enabled by the application and further development of this versatile theory. This journey through Bayes’ theorem history and advancements underscores its transformation into a vital tool for scientific research.

For more information, visit the AEM Mechanics Research Seminar website:

---
Ellad B. Tadmor, Ph.D.
Russell J. Penrose Professor
https://dept.aem.umn.edu/~tadmor/