TODAY: Patricia Pop-Ghe, 13-Dec-22, 12:20pm Central

Ellad Tadmor

Dec 13, 2022, 8:54:30 AM12/13/22
to aem-solid...@umn.edu
AEM Mechanics Research Seminar

TODAY, Tuesday 13-Dec-2022, 12:20pm Central

Dr.-Ing. Patricia Pop-Ghe
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota

Title:  Exploring first-order phase transformations in ionic liquids and ion gels

Abstract:  Ionic liquids have emerged as a highly promising material class with regard to diverse applications ranging from bio- and electrochemistry to energy storage. A major breakthrough is given by the design of ionic liquid-based soft solids, so-called ion gels, as solid-state and flexible electronic applications incorporating ionic liquids are enabled. While the electronic properties of such ionic liquids and gels have been studied at room temperature, there is little to no temperature-dependent information available that incorporates their first-order phase transitions or thermal history. Here, we examine the first-order phase transition in ionic liquids by performing temperature-dependent structural analysis of the ionic liquid 1-ethyl-3-methylimidazolium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide ([EMIm][TFSI]) and one of its polymer-based ion gel derivatives. We combine our findings with temperature-dependent impedance analysis of the ion gel and demonstrate the successful stabilization of the phase transition. Ultimately, our results emphasize the potential of combining first-order phase transitions and novel material systems in order to unlock new material functionalities.

For more information, visit the AEM Mechanics Research Seminar website:

Ellad B. Tadmor, Professor

Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
107 Akerman Hall, 110 Union St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA

tel:   612-625-6642