TODAY: Ryan Caverly, 29-Nov-22, 12:20pm Central

Ellad Tadmor

Nov 29, 2022, 7:43:12 AM11/29/22
to aem-solid...@umn.edu
AEM Mechanics Research Seminar

TODAY, Tuesday 29-Nov-2022, 12:20pm Central

Prof. Ryan Caverly
Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota

Title:  Control of Cable-Driven Flexible Robotic Systems

Abstract: Conventional rigid robotic manipulators are well understood and have widespread use in applications ranging from autonomous manufacturing to flight simulator platforms.  Robotic systems that are driven by cables are relatively new and have intriguing features, including larger workspaces and higher payload-to-weight-ratios, which enables exciting new robotic applications.  While these features are promising, performing high-acceleration maneuvers that take advantage of these properties is challenging and can even cause instability of the system due to the presence of elasticity in the cables if not accounted for correctly.

This talk will present an overview of my research group's work on the control of cable-driven flexible robotic systems. It will begin with an entry-level tutorial on robust control theory and how we use it to obtain mathematical guarantees of stability when working with flexible robotic systems. An overview of the modular reduced-order dynamic modeling approaches developed by my research group will also be presented, where robotic systems with any number of cables and arbitrary geometric configuration can be accommodated. If time permits, a brief description of the sensing and estimation framework we have formulated for these systems will be discussed.

For more information, visit the AEM Mechanics Research Seminar website:

Ellad B. Tadmor, Professor

Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
107 Akerman Hall, 110 Union St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA

tel:   612-625-6642