Manual Cutter and Dam Builder - Arc Map crashes

Agnieszka Marchlewska

Jan 15, 2021, 7:30:20 PM1/15/21
to ACPF Forum
Hello,
I am trying to figure out what causes my Arc Map to crash every time when I re-run the Manual Cutter and Dam Builder tool. I was able to successfully run this tool once and after checking my outputs I updated my cuts and dams and re-run the tool using the original DEM. I have done in it the geodatabase, in the separate session, on disk C, on the external disk, and every time my ArcMap crashes. I use the 10.7 ArcMap Desktop. Anyone had this problem?
Thank you,
Agnes

Christian Bower

Feb 17, 2021, 10:38:14 AM2/17/21
to ACPF Forum, amarch...@gmail.com
Hello Everyone,

I am having a similar problem with the Manual Cutter and Dam Builder tool. Like Agnes I am working in a file geodatabase, on my C drive, with ArcMap Desktop 10.7; the only difference is I have not been able to get the tool to run successfully at all. I've tried running it several times and even let it go overnight, but no luck. It seems to be crashing when the dialog window displays "New DEM created with altered elevation values" as the last line of script.

Has anyone come across this and found a solution? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Christian

Christian Bower

Feb 17, 2021, 11:45:36 AM2/17/21
to ACPF Forum, Christian Bower, amarch...@gmail.com
Attached is a screenshot of tool dialog window. Some other information that may be useful: I am using a DTM that I resampled to 1m cell size (was around 0.36m originally), and converted z-values to integerized cm. The DTM is ~154ac in total area. And I have enabled overwriting outputs in the geoprocessing options as well as enabled background processing.
Screenshot2_17_21.png

Aaron Chisholm

Feb 10, 2022, 10:47:57 AM2/10/22
to ACPF Forum, Christian Bower, amarch...@gmail.com
Not sure if anyone has found a solution to this a year later, but we are having this issue with ArcMap 10.8.1.  Running the Manual Cutter and Dam Builder tool crashes ArcMap with no error message.  The only workaround we found is that the same tool works just fine in ArcGIS Pro.  Then we hop back over to ArcMap to continue through the tools.  If anyone has any tips or other workarounds, I would be curious to see!  Thanks!

Agnieszka Marchlewska

Feb 10, 2022, 11:06:36 AM2/10/22
to Aaron Chisholm, ACPF Forum, Christian Bower
Aaron,
There were two things which worked for me. First, I run the tool outside of the geodatabase. Second, make sure that you have enough space on your permanent disk. I cleared some space and a lot of my issues went away.
I hope this helps.
Agnes

Agnes Marchlewska
Project Manager
513-839-8272 (c)

David James

Feb 11, 2022, 10:11:05 AM2/11/22
to Aaron Chisholm, ACPF Forum, Christian Bower, amarch...@gmail.com
Aaron
Some of the things you could try, if you haven't already...
- reboot your computer
- Open a new map document, add DEM & cuts, run there
- Copy the DEM and cuts to a new file-geodatabase (using the appropriate naming conventions)
- Verify that you are using the same projection for inputs
- Download and install a new version of the toolbox

I am curious about your DEM...can you provide some particulars?

Dave JAmes

--
The ACPF Forum is an online group for discussing technical issues related to using the ACPF tools. Anyone can view the discussions at https://groups.google.com/a/umn.edu/d/forum/acpf-group. Only members can participate in discussions. Join the group by sending an email to acpf-group...@umn.edu
---