The 14th South China Sea Tsunami Workshop (SCSTW-14) 2024, Hong Kong SAR

JH Wang

Jun 30, 2024, 3:03:54 PM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to coastal_list, haiji...@zju.edu.cn, JH Wang, lili...@mail.sysu.edu.cn, phili...@gmail.com, pl...@cornell.edu
Dear Coastal Listers,

On behalf of the organizing committee, I am delighted to announce the upcoming South China Sea Tsunami Workshop (SCSTW-14), which will take place in Hong Kong during 29 November to 2 December, 2024.

The South China Sea Tsunami Workshop (SCSTW) was initiated in 2007 by the internationally recognized tsunami expert, Professor Philip L.-F. Liu at Cornell University, U.S.A., with the ambition to shed light on many scientific questions associated with the warning systems and mitigation technologies. After 16-year success of this event, our knowledge has been advanced substantially through collective effort of multi-disciplinary researchers globally.

To date, challenges remain due to our limited understanding and great uncertainties of the tsunamigenic sources in the South China Sea region. Yet, new challenges also emerge owing to the alarming concurrent meteo-geohazard under the changing climate. In response to the unpreceded threatens of compound disasters, this year, it is timely to call for the 14th South China Sea Tsunami Workshop (SCSTW-14), as a special session of the 4th International Symposium of Water Disaster Mitigation and Water Environment Regulation (WDWE2024). Through this joint event, an interdisciplinary platform will be provided for international scholars to communicate the latest findings, innovative solutions, and best practices in climate change adaptation, water disaster prevention, and sustainable development.

Following the success of the preceding workshops, the SCSTW-14 will be held at city of the heart of Asia, Hong Kong, which is a coastal city with protracted experience of battling with water-related disasters. This joint event will be co-organized by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Sichuan University and Sun Yat-sen University, and supported by Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development, Research Institute for Land and Space, IAHR-HK Chapter and relevant government departments of Hong Kong SAR. We now take this opportunity to invite participants to submit abstracts and register interest in oral presentations or posters, and attend guided tours to appreciate the local heritage.

Important Dates

Jul 31, 2024 Abstract submission deadline
Aug 31, 2024 Notification of acceptance
Sep 30, 2024 Early-bird registration deadline
Oct 31, 2024 Online registration deadline

Venue

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR

Workshop website

https://events.polyu.edu.hk/wdwe2024/scstw14

If you have any inquiries, please contact the conference secretary (wdwe.se...@polyu.edu.hk).

Look forward to hosting you all in SCSTW-14.

Jinghua Wang
Executive Chair of LOC, WDWE 2024
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR