California Coastal Commission Seeking Coastal Geologist

Jeremy Smith

Sep 26, 2023, 1:38:54 PM9/26/23
to coastal_list

The California Coastal Commission (Commission) is offering an exciting opportunity for an individual knowledgeable in coastal geology and/or engineering geology and interested in applying science to public policy decisions.  The Commission is a small State agency that is charged with protecting coastal resources and managing coastal development in California.  The mission of the Commission is to implement the Coastal Act and to provide for the balanced use of the coastal zone and to protect, restore, and enhance coastal and marine resources for the continuing benefit of current and future generations.

The job posting can be found here: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=383185m Applying to government jobs can be daunting so I encourage folks to reach out with any questions.

The duties of this position will include the following:

• Perform a broad range of complex geologic staff work concerning present and future environmental policies, and the implementation of Coastal Act policies in the Commission’s planning and permitting work. Will work closely with the Commission’s Coastal Engineer.

• Serve as the Commission’s in-house geologist providing advice to staff in all Commission offices and programs on a wide range of terrestrial and marine geologic and earth science issues. Assist staff in permit application review and Local Coastal Program (LCP) policy review.

• Represent the Commission on important statewide committees and technical advisory groups dealing with issues such as geologic hazard identification and mitigation, slope stability and site development, coastal processes (e.g., sediment management), regional planning, resource protection and climate change.

• Develop staff recommendations to the Commission and the Legislature on a wide variety of projects, policies and issues affecting resources within the coastal zone.

• Serve in a variety of forums as a spokesperson for science-based implementation of the CA Coastal Act.

• Provide training to Commission staff and local governments on a wide variety of geologic issues. The Commission values diversity at all levels of the organization and is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. We believe the diversity of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions to further our mission of protecting and enhancing California’s coast and ocean for present and future generations.