WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Our Division of Ocean Prediction and Application (OPA), located in Lecce, is looking for a new position of researcher with experience as numerical modeler, to support the research and the ocean modeling activities.
This position is for a Numerical Modeller (i.e., Post Doc, or Junior Scientist for research career at CMCC) with good knowledge of physical oceanography, numerical models and programming skills.
The activities will be focused on coastal processes at land-sea interface. The duties will also include processing and interpreting simulation-based and observational data sets.
The primary purpose for this position is to take on a pivotal role in implementing, testing and further developing high resolution ocean models in coastal areas selected within the framework of the supporting project and other collaborations, with a focus on integrating the ocean and the hydrological modelling components. A gained experience with unstructured grid models for the ocean (e.g. SHYFEM, FESOM, FVCOM, SCHISM among the others) or at least with finite difference models (e.g. NEMO, ROMS, ICON among the others) are required.
- PhD in Physical Oceanography, Engineering and the other scientific disciplines dealing with numerical modelling e.g Physics, Mathematics, Environmental Science;
- experience in numerical modeling development;
- good knowledge and skills in programming language (i.e Python, Fortran, matlab, R);
- knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and script languages (i.e. *nix shell);
- knowledge of parallel programming on HPC architectures;
- fluency in English.
- Good communication skills and teamworking attitude;
- Advanced knowledge of unstructured numerical models;