AGU Session EP011 - Coastal Biophysical Interactions

Serina Wittyngham

Jul 2, 2024, 9:57:13 AMJul 2
to coasta...@udel.edu

Dear colleagues,

We want to bring your attention to the AGU session, "EP011. Coastal Biophysical Interactions: Hydrodynamics, Sedimentary Processes, Morphodynamics, and Coastal Resiliency". We invite you to submit your abstracts on studies that draw connections between ecological and physical processes in coastal, tidal, and estuarine settings using field, laboratory, remote sensing, theoretical, and numerical methods.

Session Description:

Biophysical interactions between hydro-morphodynamic, biological, and ecological processes shape coastal landscapes. Organisms within the water column and the substrate can affect the hydrodynamics, sediment transport, and geomorphology at various scales. This session welcomes scientific advances in ecohydraulic and biogeomorphic interactions across coastal and estuarine environments. Areas of interest may include sediment-vegetation-faunal interactions and their effects on flow, sediment transport, and mixing, and carbon sequestration. Research may comprise biophysical responses to human impacts, extreme events, climate change, and management practices aiming to improve coastal ecosystem resilience. We encourage the participation of studies including aquatic vegetation, microbial mats, algae, oyster and coral reefs, fish, and micro- and macrofauna.

This session aims for a wide range of near-shore marine settings such as barrier islands, estuaries, deltas, coastal lagoons, bays, marshes, mangroves, seagrasses, and reefs. We welcome contributions that connect ecological and physical processes using field, laboratory, remote sensing, theoretical, statistical, and numerical methods.

Please submit your abstracts by Wednesday, July 31. The AGU Fall Meeting will be held in Washington, D.C. (and online) December 9-13, 2024.

We look forward to seeing you in December!

Cordially,

Session Conveners:

Muriel Brückner (Louisiana State University)

Jorge San Juan (North Carolina State University, Raleigh)

Serina Wittyngham (Virginia Institute of Marine Science)

Pallav Ranjan (University of California, San Diego)

Katie Turner (Louisiana State University)