3 PhD Scholarships on coastal hazards in New Zealand

Giovanni Coco

Mar 24, 2023, 7:44:49 AM3/24/23
to coasta...@udel.edu

Dear colleagues,

3 PhD Scholarships on coastal hazards are available. Please find details below or at:

https://coastalhub.science/f/3-phd-positions-on-coastal-hazards

All the best

Giovanni Coco (University of Auckland, NZ) and Karin Bryan (Waikato University, NZ)

Giovanni Coco

https://coastalhub.science/coast2cast: a podcast on coastal science

www.coastalhub.science

School of Environment

Faculty of Science, University of Auckland

Room 559, Level 5, Building 302, 23 Symonds Street

Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

PhD 1

Develop a high-level sediment budget for open coasts at the national scale.

We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled PhD candidate to join our interdisciplinary research team, the Coast and Ocean Collective (www.coastalhub.science), at the University of Auckland Our team is focused on understanding the impact of environmental and anthropogenic changes on coastal systems and their associated processes.

The successful candidate will lead a cutting-edge research project aimed at developing a modelling approach to develop present and future sediment budgets for open coast systems. This exciting project will address the challenges posed by sea level rise and climatic impacts, such as changes in wave characteristics, storm surges or increased river sediment discharge due to larger rainfall events. Overall, the candidate will improve our understanding of coastal sediment dynamics and associated processes. New Zealand has 15,000km of diverse coastline, including large open coast beaches, embayed beaches, headlands, spits and inlets.

The ideal candidate will have a strong background in coastal geomorphology, sediment budget analysis, and/or oceanography, and a clear interest in numerical modelling. A Master's degree in a related field and excellent academic record is required. Experience with programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB is desirable.

The successful candidate will receive a stipend, as well as access to world-class research facilities and opportunities for professional development.

If you are passionate about coastal research and have a strong interest in modelling coastal processes, we encourage you to apply for this exciting PhD position.

To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, transcripts, and the names of at least two referees to Giovanni Coco (g.c...@auckland.ac.nz). The deadline for applications is April 30th.

 Useful references

· Akter, J., Roelvink, D. and van der Wegen, M., 2021. Process-based modeling deriving a long-term sediment budget for the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna Delta, Bangladesh. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 260, p.107509.

· Valiente, N.G., Masselink, G., McCarroll, R.J., Scott, T., Conley, D. and King, E., 2020. Nearshore sediment pathways and potential sediment budgets in embayed settings over a multi-annual timescale. Marine Geology, 427, p.106270.

PhD 2

Predict short-term (decadal-scale) shoreline evolution using data-driven models at selected regional scales.

We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled PhD candidate to join our interdisciplinary research team, the Coast and Ocean Collective (www.coastalhub.science), at the University of Auckland. Our team is focused on understanding the impact of environmental and anthropogenic changes on coastal systems and their associated processes.

The successful candidate will have the opportunity to lead a cutting-edge research project aimed at predicting short-term shoreline evolution using data-driven models. This exciting project will combine state-of-the-art methods in data analysis and machine learning to advance our prediction skills and our understanding of the complicated processes that govern shoreline evolution. The project involves the collaboration and cosupervision of Karin Bryan (University of Waikato, NZ), Mitchell Harley and Kristen Splinter (both at UNSW, Australia),

The ideal candidate will have a strong background in coastal geomorphology, data analysis, and/or machine learning. A Master's degree in a related field and excellent academic record is required. Experience with programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB is required.

The successful candidate will receive a stipend, as well as access to world-class research facilities and opportunities for professional development.

If you are passionate about coastal research and have a strong interest in using data-driven models to understand complex processes, we encourage you to apply for this exciting PhD position.

To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, transcripts, and the names of at least two referees to Giovanni Coco (g.c...@auckland.ac.nz). The deadline for applications is April 30th.

 Key references

· Montaño, J., Coco, G., Antolínez, J.A., Beuzen, T., Bryan, K.R., Cagigal, L., Castelle, B., Davidson, M.A., Goldstein, E.B., Ibaceta, R. and Idier, D., 2020. Blind testing of shoreline evolution models. Scientific reports, 10(1), p.2137.

· Montaño, J., Coco, G., Cagigal, L., Mendez, F., Rueda, A., Bryan, K.R. and Harley, M.D., 2021. A multiscale approach to shoreline prediction. Geophysical Research Letters, 48(1), p.e2020GL090587.

· Vos, K., Splinter, K.D., Harley, M.D., Simmons, J.A. and Turner, I.L., 2019. CoastSat: A Google Earth Engine-enabled Python toolkit to extract shorelines from publicly available satellite imagery. Environmental Modelling & Software, 122, p.104528.

PhD 3

Understanding the impact of changing sea level on estuarine-open coast sediment exchange in New Zealand.

We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled PhD candidate to join the Coastal Marine Group at the University of Waikato (working with Karin Bryan), to work on a collaborative project with the University of Auckland (working with Giovanni Coco), on the effect of sea level rise on coastal sediment budgets.

The successful candidate will have the opportunity to lead a cutting-edge research project aimed at understanding and predicting the effect of climate change (such as caused by sealevel rise and changes to coastal sediment loading) on the evolution of New Zealand’s 300+ estuaries. The approach will involve modelling, data science and remote sensing, and will focus on physical processes around sediment supply and exchange.  Modelling will likely use a combination of Delft3D modelling and more simplified modelling. Data science combined with remote sensing will be used to validate modelling, and to develop predictions (i.e. emulators) that can be used to explore potential future changes.

The ideal candidate will have a strong background in coastal geomorphology, numerical modelling data analysis, and/or machine learning. A Master's degree in a related field and excellent academic record is required. Experience with programming languages such as Python, R, or MATLAB is required.

The successful candidate will receive a stipend, as well as access to world-class research facilities and opportunities for professional development.

If you are passionate about coastal research and have a strong interest in environmental datascience, we encourage you to apply for this exciting PhD position.

To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, transcripts, and the names of at least two referees to Karin Bryan (Karin...@waikato.ac.nz). The deadline for applications is April 30th.