compiling browndye 2 on HPC

Gerald Keller

Apr 14, 2022, 6:49:41 AM4/14/22
to browndye...@ucsd.edu

Hi Gary,

I am trying to compile browndye 2 on a HPC. For this I  successfully installed ocaml 4.10.0, expat and apbs 3.0.0. Corresponding PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables were set. I am compiling on a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 with gcc-11.2.0

I am able to build the aux-binaries but the bin-binaries fail due to (the very long expression is the lapack lib)

g++ obj/aux/scale_interactions.o -o bin/scale_interactions -L ./lib -lm -lpthread -lbrowndye -lexpat  -Wl,--start-group /dss/dsshome1/lrz/sys/spack/release/22.2.1/opt/x86_64/intel-mkl/2020.4.304-gcc-cmdxw76/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a /dss/dsshome1/lrz/sys/spack/release/22.2.1/opt/x86_64/intel-mkl/2020.4.304-gcc-cmdxw76/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_thread.a /dss/dsshome1/lrz/sys/spack/release/22.2.1/opt/x86_64/intel-mkl/2020.4.304-gcc-cmdxw76/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a -Wl,--end-group -liomp5 -lpthread -lm -ldl

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbrowndye

To get lapack working I had to change the LIB entry in the Makefile. So -llapack was replaced by $(MKL_LIB).

Do you have any idea how I could get this working?

Best regards,

Gerald

Robert Konecny

Apr 14, 2022, 1:36:38 PM4/14/22
to Gerald Keller, browndye...@ucsd.edu
Hi Gerald,

If the library (./lib/libbrowndye.a) was created in the previous step then
try replacing '-lbrowndye' with explicit path to it, e.g.
/your/path/browndye2/lib/libbrowndye.a.

Best,

Robert
>--

>[1] mailto:browndye-users...@ucsd.edu

Gerald Keller

Apr 15, 2022, 3:40:21 AM4/15/22
to Robert Konecny, browndye...@ucsd.edu
Hi Robert,

I checked for the browndye-lib, but it seems to fail when building it. Not sure if this is an expat issue (see build_err.log).
I attached build_all.log (stdout+stderr how it appears when compiling) build.log (stdout) and build_err.log (stderr). I hope this helps to identify what is going wrong.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

Best,
Gerald Keller

Apr 15, 2022, 10:21:42 AM4/15/22
to Gerald Keller, browndye...@ucsd.edu
Hi Gerald,

Your log files look strange, the entries look out of order. Are using make
in parallel (make -j)? Can we see your makefile?

I understand why you are trying to use MKL but I would probably try first
to use the system BLAS/LAPACK (if installed) and see how that goes.

I'll try to reproduce what you are getting with Docker and SUSE later
today.

Best,

Robert

Robert Konecny

Apr 15, 2022, 1:25:46 PM4/15/22
to Gerald Keller, browndye...@ucsd.edu
Hi Gerald,

I can get it compiled with the system BLAS/LAPACK libraries on OpenSUSE
15.2 just fine. And with both g++ 7.5 and 10.2.

Best,

Robert
>To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to browndye-users...@ucsd.edu.

Gerald Keller

Apr 19, 2022, 3:48:27 AM4/19/22
to Robert Konecny, browndye...@ucsd.edu
Hi Robert,

your question if I would use make -j XX all (I used make -j 20 all) made me to just try 'make all'. What shall I say, the building passed.
Do you have any idea, why the parallel make fails?

I then tried a test simulation on the HPC. When I executed 'we_simulation' it prompts me the Version of 28 Sep 2021, although I downloaded the source files a few days ago from here: https://browndye.ucsd.edu/downloads/browndye2.tar.gz

Would you please update the tarball to the latest version?
I then will let you know, if building and testing was successfully.

Best,
Gerald