Lab Expo 2024 - 2/2/2024

Spall, Valeria

Nov 29, 2023, 6:49:59 PM11/29/23

Dear Students,

Please see information below regarding UCSD Lab Expo 2024. If you have any questions, please reach out to Aiden Momtaz, amo...@ucsd.edu.

Best,

Biology Graduate Program

*****

Dear Students,

Hope you are keeping well! We would like to most sincerely welcome you to present current or past research projects at Lab Expo 2024!

Lab Expo is an annual research symposium that will take place this school year on Friday, February 2nd, 2024 in PC West Ballrooms. For the past few years, Lab Expo has been run entirely by undergraduates with the goal of developing scientific literacy, promoting interdisciplinary collaboration, and encouraging scientific advocacy. This is achieved by allowing researchers to present their work to the large UCSD undergraduate population who are thereby exposed to all of the amazing research happening in and around campus. When we last held our event in person, we had a turnout of over 300 undergraduates with around 40 presenters across more than 15 departments, and this year we aim to expand even further.

Lab Expo will be an excellent opportunity to:

1.     Practice - Undergraduates and graduate students alike will have the opportunity to practice presenting to onlookers in a low-stakes environment that facilitates growth!

2.     Connect - Lab Expo is a perfect opportunity for your group to network with other researchers, get inspired by others’ interests, and discover opportunities for collaboration.

3.     Inspire - We wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm for research; however, not all undergraduates are exposed to all the interesting and relevant research at Salk Institutes. Share your passion for science and inspire the next generation of students!

4.     Recruit - Increase your department's visibility among undergraduates interested in research. If you are looking to recruit undergraduates to work on side projects or help out with their research, Lab Expo is ideal!

We are currently looking for presenters to participate in Lab Expo. There are multiple events you can participate in.

1.     Graduate Student Panel (GSP): The Graduate Student Panel is an event where graduates have the time to talk about their journey getting into graduate school and offer advice to curious students with similar aspirations. This is an interdisciplinary event where we encourage grad students from all different departments to come together and offer a guiding hand to undergraduates who are looking forward to graduate school and would benefit from hearing from a personal perspective what there is to expect.

2.     Networking Lunch: Networking lunch is a session where attendees can network with different presenters or faculty members at the event, building a connection with presenters from different departments and at the same time enjoying the free refreshments provided. Attendees would have the opportunity to discuss research that they are interested in with presenters. This event would be a great opportunity to practice communication skills, build connections within the research field, and participate in deep discussions regarding research.

3.     Poster Presentation: The poster session in Lab Expo aims to provide a stress-free and rewarding experience to all researchers on campus by giving them another opportunity to practice their presentation skills. Alongside the huge amount of attendees who can provide valuable suggestions, upon request, there will be feedback where experienced faculties or graduate students will evaluate attendees' poster content and presentation skills and give advice. This event could serve as a training ground for novice researchers who are ready to present their results.

For parties interested in presenting the sign-up link is here.

For further information, you can contact me at amo...@ucsd.edu or contact one of the committee leads:

Courtney Lo

c...@ucsd.edu

Ruby Diaz

r2d...@ucsd.edu

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you!

Best Regards,

Aiden Momtaz

UCSD | Lab Expo Committee

ERC | Class of 2026