Summer 2023 Dissertation/Thesis Submission and Formatting Webinar

Spall, Valeria

Jul 12, 2023, 11:46:19 AM7/12/23
to phd_gra...@biology.ucsd.edu, Bazyar, Melody, Oseguera, Ileana

Dear students,

GEPA is offering Dissertation/Thesis Submission and Formatting Webinar this Summer.  It will not be recorded, but the slides will be posted to the GEPA website afterwards.  The webinar will cover the dissertation/thesis submission process, formatting guidelines, and co-author permission letters.

Date and Time: Monday, July 17 at 10:00am (PT)

RSVP: https://go.ucsd.edu/43aFRuR

(Note: Students must sign into their Zoom account before they can register for the webinar.)

Please forward the attached flyer and FAQs below to all students planning to file for graduation this Spring or Summer 2023. Thanks!

FAQs

Webinar

Q:    Who should attend this webinar?

A:    PhD, EdD, DMA, MA/MS (Plan I/Thesis), MPH, and MFA students who are preparing or have already started to write their dissertation/thesis.  This webinar is not applicable to MA/MS (Plan II/Comprehensive Exam); MPH students completing a capstone; or professional degrees: AUD, MAS, MBA, MCEP, MDSO, MEd, MEng, MF, MIA, MPac, or MPP.

Q:    Will other webinars be offered?

A:    We offer one webinar each quarter.

Q:    Will the webinar be recorded?

A:    It will not be recorded. However, the slides will be posted to the GEPA website afterwards.

Q:    I won’t be able to attend this webinar; can I meet with you individually?

A:    The webinar is intended to be a “preview” to the preliminary appointment. Both the Preliminary Appointment and the Final Review are still required regardless of your attendance at the webinar. All preliminary appointments will be through Zoom. The final review will be discussed during the preliminary appointment.

Q:    If I attended a previous webinar, can I still come to this one?

A:    Yes, however, we will repeat the information that we went over last time.

Q:    If I have scheduled my preliminary appointment to be before the webinar, would it still be beneficial for me to attend?

A:    Yes, however, we will repeat some information that we went over during your preliminary appointment. You may also consider rescheduling your preliminary appointment for after the webinar.

Q:    I’m planning on defending in a future quarter- can I still attend?

A:    Yes! The earlier you start preparing the formatting of your thesis/dissertation, the better.

Q:    I’m planning on defending in a future quarter- can I schedule my preliminary appointment now?

A:    No, we have found that it is not beneficial for a student to meet with a GEPA Academic Advisor with an incomplete dissertation/thesis. It is recommended that you have your preliminary appointment closer to your defense once your thesis/dissertation is fully written and formatted.

Q:    What are the deadlines for submitting my dissertation or thesis?

A:    All deadlines are posted at http://grad.ucsd.edu/academics/enrolling/.

Appointments/Formatting

Q:    How do I schedule my preliminary appointment?

A:    You may schedule your preliminary appointment at https://gradforms.ucsd.edu/calendar/. A Zoom link will be emailed to you prior to your appointment.

Q:     Should I schedule my final review?

A:     If you know the date of your defense, you may schedule your final review now or you may wait until your preliminary appointment and we will schedule the final review at that time (some advisors prefer scheduling this for you). The final review process will be discussed at the preliminary appointment. You may schedule your final review at https://gradforms.ucsd.edu/calendar/ (note that the calendar only shows availability for the next 60 days).

Q:    Do you offer tech support?

A:    No, we do not offer tech support. Students are expected to appropriately format their own thesis/dissertation.

Q:    Can I use a formatting service?

A:    It is expected that students format their own dissertation/thesis. Papers that are submitted after being looked at by a formatting service often contain many errors in need of correction.

Q:    Is there a dissertation or thesis template?

A:    Yes, templates can be found on our website at https://grad.ucsd.edu/academics/preparing-to-graduate/dissertation-thesis-template.html.

Best,

Valeria

Valeria Spall

Ph.D. Program Coordinator

School of Biological Sciences, UC San Diego

1130E Pacific Hall

La Jolla, CA 92093

T: 858-534-7577 | E: vsp...@ucsd.edu

Onsite:  Wed. / Thur.

Remote:  Mon. / Tues. / Fri.

email signature

A Dissertation/Thesis Submission and Formatting Webinar is being offered this Summer. This webinar is for students who are required to submit a dissertation or thesis for their degree and are at the stage that they are preparing to or have already started to write their dissertation/thesis. This includes PhD, EdD, DMA, MA/MS (Plan I/Thesis), MPH, and MFA students.  This webinar is not applicable to MA/MS (Plan II/Comprehensive Exam); MPH students completing a capstone; or professional degrees*. *Please see the FAQ below for a more complete list of students who should not participate in this webinar.

The webinar will cover the dissertation/thesis submission process, formatting guidelines, and co-author permission letters.  The webinar will not be recorded, but the slides will be posted to the GEPA website afterwards.

Date and Time: Monday, July 17 at 10:00am (PT)

RSVP: https://go.ucsd.edu/43aFRuR

(Note: Students must sign into their Zoom account before they can register for the webinar.)

Please forward the attached flyer and FAQs below to all students planning to file for graduation this Spring or Summer 2023. Thanks!

FAQs

Webinar

Q:    Who should attend this webinar?

A:    PhD, EdD, DMA, MA/MS (Plan I/Thesis), MPH, and MFA students who are preparing or have already started to write their dissertation/thesis.  This webinar is not applicable to MA/MS (Plan II/Comprehensive Exam); MPH students completing a capstone; or professional degrees: AUD, MAS, MBA, MCEP, MDSO, MEd, MEng, MF, MIA, MPac, or MPP.

Q:    Will other webinars be offered?

A:    We offer one webinar each quarter.

Q:    Will the webinar be recorded?

A:    It will not be recorded. However, the slides will be posted to the GEPA website afterwards.

Q:    I won’t be able to attend this webinar; can I meet with you individually?

A:    The webinar is intended to be a “preview” to the preliminary appointment. Both the Preliminary Appointment and the Final Review are still required regardless of your attendance at the webinar. All preliminary appointments will be through Zoom. The final review will be discussed during the preliminary appointment.

Q:    If I attended a previous webinar, can I still come to this one?

A:    Yes, however, we will repeat the information that we went over last time.

Q:    If I have scheduled my preliminary appointment to be before the webinar, would it still be beneficial for me to attend?

A:    Yes, however, we will repeat some information that we went over during your preliminary appointment. You may also consider rescheduling your preliminary appointment for after the webinar.

Q:    I’m planning on defending in a future quarter- can I still attend?

A:    Yes! The earlier you start preparing the formatting of your thesis/dissertation, the better.

Q:    I’m planning on defending in a future quarter- can I schedule my preliminary appointment now?

A:    No, we have found that it is not beneficial for a student to meet with a GEPA Academic Advisor with an incomplete dissertation/thesis. It is recommended that you have your preliminary appointment closer to your defense once your thesis/dissertation is fully written and formatted.

Q:    What are the deadlines for submitting my dissertation or thesis?

A:    All deadlines are posted at http://grad.ucsd.edu/academics/enrolling/.

Appointments/Formatting

Q:    How do I schedule my preliminary appointment?

A:    You may schedule your preliminary appointment at https://gradforms.ucsd.edu/calendar/. A Zoom link will be emailed to you prior to your appointment.

Q:     Should I schedule my final review?

A:     If you know the date of your defense, you may schedule your final review now or you may wait until your preliminary appointment and we will schedule the final review at that time (some advisors prefer scheduling this for you). The final review process will be discussed at the preliminary appointment. You may schedule your final review at https://gradforms.ucsd.edu/calendar/ (note that the calendar only shows availability for the next 60 days).

Q:    Do you offer tech support?

A:    No, we do not offer tech support. Students are expected to appropriately format their own thesis/dissertation.

Q:    Can I use a formatting service?

A:    It is expected that students format their own dissertation/thesis. Papers that are submitted after being looked at by a formatting service often contain many errors in need of correction.

Q:    Is there a dissertation or thesis template?

A:    Yes, templates can be found on our website at https://grad.ucsd.edu/academics/preparing-to-graduate/dissertation-thesis-template.html.

Eliese Maxwell

Graduate Academic Affairs Advisor

Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs

etma...@ucsd.edu

grad.ucsd.edu

FormattingWebinarFlyerSU23.pdf