*** Error in `./wrf_hydro.exe': free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x000000001e1a1e20 ***

Yu-Fen Huang

Jun 17, 2022, 11:34:20 PM6/17/22
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Hi,

Does anyone know what this error means and what can I do to resolve the issue?
`*** Error in `./wrf_hydro.exe': free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x000000001e1a1e20 ***`

With the same domain and forcing, I have no problem running Diffusive-wave gridded routing. However, this error occurred when I changed the channel routing to either reach-based routing.

Note: I attached the log files and namelists.

Thank you,
Yufen

wrf_hydro.log
oahu_2015_nolake.e4681400
hydro.namelist
namelist.hrldas

Yu-Fen Huang

Jun 27, 2022, 5:18:16 PM6/27/22
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Hi,

Just add a note: the error occured after reading the Route_Link.nc.  Does anyone have the same experience or know how to solve the issue? Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Yufen
--
Yu-Fen Huang

Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Management
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa

Kevin

Jun 29, 2022, 10:53:41 AM6/29/22
to wrf-hydro_users, Yu-Fen Huang
Yu-Fen,

You are using the same domain files for gridded diffusive-wave and reach-based routing? That is not usually supported, because reach-based routing requires the presence of a LINKID variable in Fulldom_hires.nc. Can you check your inputs to make sure that variable has reach ID values that are present in your RouteLink file?

Kevin

Yu-Fen Huang

Jun 29, 2022, 2:33:32 PM6/29/22
to Kevin, wrf-hydro_users
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. I have both `LINKID` in `Fulldom_hires.nc` and `link(feature_id)` in Route_Link. I checked the box of "Crate reach-based routing (RouteLink) files? (optional) in the GIS preprocessing. I attached the metadata of those two netCDF files.

Side note: If I borrow the `spatialweights.nc` from NWM v2.1, turn on the UMAP, and change the dimension name of `GWBUCKPARM.nc` to make it consistent, then I can run the Musk-Cunge reach routing with my domain without that error, though I'm not sure if the the linkages between stream and the watershed will be correct or not.

Thank you,
Yufen
RouteLink_meta.txt
fulldom_meta.txt

Parth

Jul 27, 2022, 12:54:43 AM7/27/22
to wrf-hydro_users, Yu-Fen Huang, wrf-hydro_users, Kevin
Hi Yu-Fen and Kevin,

I have run into similar issues. It turns out a similar set of DOMAIN files works perfectly alright with the earlier WRF-hydro version (in fact, the 5.2.0 beta2). Have you come across any solution?

The issue here persists with the Route_link.nc with both gcc and intel compilers on the latest version. I am using all the tools from the current 5.2 version (soil_properties, GIS preprocessing toolkit etc.).

Below attached is the slurm error output. I would be happy to share any other data if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,
Parth

slurm-11104563.out

Yu-Fen Huang

Jul 29, 2022, 1:40:54 PM7/29/22
to Parth, wrf-hydro_users
Hi Parth,

How many cpu did you use for your run? I found out that the error may be gone by reducing the cpu for parallel computing. For me, I'll need to reduce it to 4.

Best regards,
Yufen

Parth

Jul 29, 2022, 1:54:26 PM7/29/22
to wrf-hydro_users, Yu-Fen Huang, wrf-hydro_users, Parth
Hi Yufen,

It turns out that the HPC (Summit, in my case) had some compiler issues with specially configured ifort Summit macros in V5.2. Instead, I used the regular ifort macros (not the specially configured one; primarily, it changed my COMPILER90 from mpiifort to mpif90), and it is working perfectly now. I appreciate your help!

Parth